SA 788T Error messages

chris_bollard

Have contacted them and got message back that it was IO error not error #10. Basically error to do with write/read error on the recording media. Need to check the CF files against the HDD files to work out which one was at fault.

Anyone else had strangeness with 788, esp since last firmware upgrade?

Thanks

On a semi related note, has anyone been able to burn DVD's in real time on their 788T using the SD burner?  I have had issues with the burner going offline during recording and at this point I am stumped.  This burner has worked perfectly with my 744T for hundreds of DVD's without issue, and still works well when I use the CF cards from my 788T in my 744T to burn my files during the day. What are you folks doing about media that you turn in every day?

I had the same problem myself. My 788 worked fine prior to the hardware upgrade for the CL-8.  Went through a few burners (3) until finally finding one that works okay.  I do have one burner that will work fine with my 744 but not with the 788.  Strange.  Besides problems caused by bad burners, I suspect that somehow the firewire configuration is more fragile (if that's possible) with this new built.  Sound Devices position is that the problem is most likely with the burners and/or perhaps the DVD RAM disks.  Who knows?  For now, everything is working and I'm hoping the problem is solved.

Bruce

Yes, we are currently investigating these DVDRAM issues.

What is important is that our tests have shown that the 788T is capable of simultaneosuly recording up to 8 tracks polyphonic to INT HDD and DVDRAM provided DVDRAM media has minimal dust and scratch marks and optical drive is OK. Having said that, we are working on some strategies to make the 788T more forgiving of DVDRAM media imperfections and optical drive alignment tolerances.

Paul

Sound Devices , LLC

Thanks Paul,

I look forward to the findings and your support of your fantastic products but what has me puzzled is that even when I am doing a very simple recording ( one channel, 16 bit, 48K , monophonic) the drive can still go off on the 788 a few times a day and this has never happened with the 744 that I own with the same drive. I have been very happy with the DVD stock that I have been using for the past year but this is a problem for me because I need to be able to work this machine into a daily workflow and the current system of using a 2nd machine as a transfer machine is a real pain.

Bruce, which burners did you end up using?  Where they the SD versions?

Thanks Chris

I have the 744 as well as the 788 and have to agree with you that the 744 is, for want of a better phrase, more solid; and that's why I bought the 788. I was expecting an 8 track version of the 744. It was kinda like that in it's early incarnations. After the various hardware and software upgrades it's become a different beast. Sure, much more flexible in what it can do (like 12 audio tracks) but has become less of a prefered option in my bag when I need 5 tracks.

Not wanting to make a big thing; more an observation to see what other users think.