4018c or a second 641

Nate C

Contemplating adding a DPA 4018C to my kit or playing it safe and getting a second 641.

Currently all my boom mics are Schoeps.

Curious for those who have used/own both how the two compare? How close of a match they are are if you have to mix the two? Note I am primarily a bag mixer so it will mainly be used for interviews but I like to be prepared for those more dramatic days. 

Pros and cons.

Personal preference, I know this is subjective.

Will organise a test mic before I commit but any info from those in the field is appreciated.

I haven't done any A/B listening or test between the two, but feel that the 641 has more reach than the 4018.

FWIW: I boomed a show over the summer, where the mixer had the C pre-amp along with both a 4018 and a 4017. I was surprised to find that the 4017c sounded better in almost all situations, even for interiors, so we ended up using it probably 90% of the time. The 4018c is incredibly small in size, so that can obviously be an advantage some situations, but I felt it didn't have any "reach" and needed a bump the gain a notch or two on the Sound Devices MM-1 compared to the 4017.

All that said, it does sound very nice if you can get it close enough. (If I remember correctly, according to DPA the 4018 has a "flat" response at 30 cm and the 4017 at 60 cm).

- I know you wanted a comparison to the 641, not the 4017, but hopefully this is still of some help.

I love the 6 41, but only when close up and or when I am in a low clearance area and I need the swivel... otherwise i am on a CS3e ....  I  prefer the MKH 50 when in close...  That mic really sounds nice too...  But, the 6-41 seems to age...  Not sure it sounds like it used to...  Had it for years..

Keeping all your mics from one manufacturer doesn't do much... Better to have more tools that provide more options..unless you are using two booms at the same time where the same two mics may be helpful..

Have not used the DPA...

15 hours ago, mikewest said:

Many thanks Ty for your time invested and great research.

Off topic-

I wondered if you have ever compared Sanken CS-1, 2 and 3

The CS-1 has the shortest real lobe I have ever experienced of a shotgun style.

Kind regards

mike

Hi Mike

still off topic 

i am a big fan of the cs1 (e) the original cs1 had almost no rear lobe the newer cs1e has some rear lobe but is much quieter s/n

i find I use my cs1e on doc actuality a lot more than my mkh50.

richard

Hi Richard,

Yes the original CS-1 is what I use for everything!

It's got reach, great detail and yes a remarkable front to back ratio.

Also it's angle of acceptance is quite remarkable.

I have owned and used a CS-3 but did not prefer so I sold it and bought a CS2

Again a similar level of detail and I guess reach but I hardly use it.

The 1 and the 2 have 2 capsule but the 3 has 3.

I also have owned a CSS-5 for 17 years and that has given me a remarkable

collection of stereo sound fx and atmospheres.

Sanken is a very small but clever company and I visited then in Tokyo.

mike

On 11/23/2017 at 7:15 PM, afewmoreyears said:

I love the 6 41, but only when close up and or when I am in a low clearance area and I need the swivel... otherwise i am on a CS3e ....  I  prefer the MKH 50 when in close...  That mic really sounds nice too...  But, the 6-41 seems to age...  Not sure it sounds like it used to...  Had it for years..

Keeping all your mics from one manufacturer doesn't do much... Better to have more tools that provide more options..unless you are using two booms at the same time where the same two mics may be helpful..

Have not used the DPA...

Hi all, reference the comment about aging 641. I was in one of the shops they had a brand new 641 and I used 641, I tried out and recorded both. Whoa, what a huge difference. The older one had definitely, I guess we could say, aged. It had $0 value to me and was priced about 75% of a new one. So, obviously I agree with the aging comment. 

Thank you, Martin

On 11/27/2017 at 8:40 AM, MartinTheMixer said:

Hi all, reference the comment about aging 641. I was in one of the shops they had a brand new 641 and I used 641, I tried out and recorded both. Whoa, what a huge difference. The older one had definitely, I guess we could say, aged. It had $0 value to me and was priced about 75% of a new one. So, obviously I agree with the aging comment. 

Thank you, Martin

A bit off topic, but what would cause the degradation in quality over time? Would it be related to the mic capsule or the amplifier? I'm curious now because I use a CMC4 (modded to P48) with an MK41. I think it sounds good but maybe it could be even better. I haven't compared it to a newer one.

I should correct my previous post about my CMC 4 vs 6. I should say that the CMC6 is still a great sounding mic and I do still use. The CMC4 has a little bit of a different sound to it that I prefer over my CMC6. There is another mixer that I have worked with that has a pair of CMC4s and his sound very similar to mine. There seems to be a quality in them that smooths out the low end more that I prefer.