MKH50, Sennheiser vs Rycote mount?

nch

I just bought a MKH50 and it comes in a box with a suspension mount and some other bits. The suspension mount is one of the older designs with the elastic bands. I’ve not used a MKH50 before but have heard folk complain about handling noise and I’m wondering if it’s worth picking up one of the Rycote Invision mounts, the 7 is the one for the 50 I believe. They're not very expensive so if it's an improvement then it’ll be well worth while but if it’s just the same game in another shape it’s money in the wind.

Anyone have any experience with the two and can comment if they noticed a difference?

I picked up my Sennheiser mount the other day after it had sat, unused, on a shelf for a couple months, and the elastics crumbled in my hand. I think the sunlight may have dried them out. Wasn't a big deal because I typically use the Rycote, but I definitely wouldn't take the Sennheiser mount out in the field without some backup elastics.

Back in the late 1980's / early 1990's when the MKH50 first came out, a similar suspension to the current suspension was supplied. It had the same pastic components as the current design but the rods were about twice the current length which resulted in less floppiness. It was a great mount.  I did succesfully modify a new suspension with rod from a hobby shop.

With comments about bands failing and needing to be correctly tensioned the Rycote sounds like £40 well spent. The Sennheiser will make a good back up I guess. I do make a conscious effort not to dwell on the kit John but having to fiddle with my mount dose't help.

Rods?

EThe elastic bands system of Sennheiser really works. They are based in a very basic principle that does the job well and is competitive with the top systems. As you said the cost is minimal, so go for the Rycote freely, but having a few backup elastic bands ain't a big deal either. My main basket is a Sennheiser and I do change the bands once per year, and no issues on the field whatsoever. 

With most suspensions that use bands, I replace them with K-Tek Suspenders.  They're extremely durable, less hassle, do a great job of isolating, and cost very little.  

I've used them on numerous mounts with great success, stretched them around large body mics without issue, snapped them over sharp edges with nary a whimper, and mounted them with really slim mics with the aid of O-rings.  They work well in Rycote basket mounts, including the four-point and two-point models. 

However, i've not had occasion to try them on an MZS 40 but would certainly give it a shot. 

Note:  Make sure to buy the genuine K-Tek Suspenders and not inferior knockoffs.

I used the supplied MKH suspension for a few years and found it worked pretty well. (in conjunction with the low end rolloff switch) My main issue with it was having to plug the boom cable straight into the mic and then wind it through the little cable holders.  Works fine for recording music or stationary interviews.  

When chasing action though, the cable would invariably get pulled out of the friction fittings, leaving the mic cable hanging directly off the back of the mic and unprotected from the noise of the cable hitting the boom pole.

The Cinela Osix may be more expensive, but you never wear out your Mic's XLR connector by plugging into it all the time, and its totally plug and play for quick boom mic changes.  Not to mention, the quietest suspension I've come across..

Cheers,

Brent Calkin

3 hours ago, Freeheel said:

I used the supplied MKH suspension for a few years and found it worked pretty well. (in conjunction with the low end rolloff switch) My main issue with it was having to plug the boom cable straight into the mic and then wind it through the little cable holders.  Works fine for recording music or stationary interviews.  

When chasing action though, the cable would invariably get pulled out of the friction fittings, leaving the mic cable hanging directly off the back of the mic and unprotected from the noise of the cable hitting the boom pole.

I've been using a bongo tie for strain relief with the stock Sennheiser mount, pretty much in the same spot the rycote invision mount has it built in just to lock the xlr down. Other than that little mod I've had no issues with that mount...