Zoom f8 audio files overwritten

Marcus G

I was using the Zoom f8. At the end of a long take I changed the name of that take to "interview take 1". Then I changed the metadata to interview and reset the take. Somehow the zoom f8 overwrote a new "Interview take 1" on top of the previous "interview take 1". The zoom should have created a take 2 but instead overwrote take 1.  Now my file is lost. Does anyone now how to retrieve a previous version of an audio file from the zoom f8.   I tried about 5 data recovery programs with no positive results.

Thanks

Don't even worry about that. Nobody going to notice the difference between interviews.

- Does this changed your life after surgical?

- Yes, sure! Cutting three slice of lemon and putting an extra bit of ginger; takes the receipe into next level.

So, what.

14 hours ago, VAS said:

Don't even worry about that. Nobody going to notice the difference between interviews.

- Does this changed your life after surgical?

- Yes, sure! Cutting three slice of lemon and putting an extra bit of ginger; takes the receipe into next level.

So, what.

Marcus's 5 attempts to recover data suggest otherwise. Interviewer might have asked different questions, interviewee may have given different answers, camera may have picture for which there is no sound (always good to send scratch/BU if you can).

19 hours ago, VAS said:

Not in my experience as a mixer or producer. But back to Marcus...

There was a guy here, Samuel, who worked at Zoom.

http://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/profile/11816-zoomofficial/

But I haven't seen any posts from him in a long while. @ZoomOfficial, are you still here? Any suggestions for Marcus?

Put the SD in some linux system, make an image with dd or ddrescue. Make sure, the SDcard is not automounted.

This will look somehow like this:

umount /dev/mmcblk0
dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=sdcard.image bs=512

Then run testdisk on the image

testdisk sdcard.image

Alternatively, PhotoRec might find the file. (a sister project of testdisk)

If all else fails, in theory, search with some hex editor for any continuous sequences that are not zeros. However, I have not yet done such a thing and this is pure theory.

Be sure to understand what the commands you issue do (especially with the "if" "of" options of dd) read the manual and sufficiently current howtos. Work with the image and copies of it. A lot of data is frequently destroyed by rescue approaches. Do not fumble around with the original media, like:

On 29.11.2017 at 5:37 PM, Marcus G said:

I tried about 5 data recovery programs

BTW which?

Edited by DanieldH
Additional thought

On 30/11/2017 at 1:24 AM, VAS said:

Sorry Vas - could not find any humor in this. 

On Another note - OP - You could try what DanielDH is saying - which is a low level option, using computer tech. Hope you find it this way. Imho - i think you have lost your file forever if it is really a firmware bug - and you are the first one to encounter it. Yes, it is possible... 

10 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Hello, 2 years from now, maybe less, the ads for hiring mixers are going to read, in large letters "No Zoom". 

Not sure if this is the case in other sound professions with "No Behringer"

Have you seen something like "No Røde" before?

Edited by DanieldH
More thoughts

19 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Hello, 2 years from now, maybe less, the ads for hiring mixers are going to read, in large letters "No Zoom". 

You'd already see sometimes ads like that (long before the F8 came out), because they didn't want someone to show up with a Zoom H4n.

Hello, I don't think I've ever seen that, because the other Zoom products don't even slightly resemble a real mixer. I mean I don't know how you would even fake it with the H whatever. There are no outputs, you can't fade a pot to take somebody out of the mix, I don't think you can have a left-right mix track out of one of those, no time code, etc. I don't know how you would begin to fake it, but, with the F8 it looks 633 ish from 10 feet away. 

Thanks, Martin