Imac for Protools 12 and a 5.1 system?

bigyna

I've been thinking in terms of the most powerful Mini to replace my Mac Pro tower, one of the last that was user-expandable. I'd get a separate Thunderbolt-connected chassis to support the PCI cards I want to keep. Using a Mini rather than an iMac would let me keep my current arrangement with two monitors at the console, BlackMagic HDMI driver for pix, and CPU with all its connections sitting happily in the rack. 

I have a 2015 Mini with hybrid disk at my desk, and it's wicked fast!

On 30 Nov 2017 at 11:31 PM, Jay Rose said:

I've been thinking in terms of the most powerful Mini to replace my Mac Pro tower, one of the last that was user-expandable. I'd get a separate Thunderbolt-connected chassis to support the PCI cards I want to keep. Using a Mini rather than an iMac would let me keep my current arrangement with two monitors at the console, BlackMagic HDMI driver for pix, and CPU with all its connections sitting happily in the rack. 

I have a 2015 Mini with hybrid disk at my desk, and it's wicked fast!

I've worked on a similar setup and it's pretty decent.

Minis are my fave Apple computer--the most practical and best bang for buck thing they make.  I'm glad it hasn't yet succumbed to their mania for reducing the number of ports and i/o in the name of stylish sleekness, it is very fast and the size makes it extremely versatile.  If you don't need card slots it can handle all but the hugest mix sessions just fine.

Ohhh a mini is that powerful. I wouldn't need pci cards. Just a decent system with a 6 out sound card and a decently working 5.1 session. May be have around 80-100 tracks maximum? With a decent amount of plugins

Just now, bigyna said:

Ohhh a mini is that powerful. I wouldn't need pci cards. Just a decent system with a 6 out sound card and a decently working 5.1 session. May be have around 80-100 tracks maximum? With a decent amount of plugins