Zaxcom lectro sanken universal wiring

osa

1 hour ago, Eric Toline said:

The ST-70 wasn't an Eico it was a 35wpc Dynakit poweramp that connected up to the PA 2 or 3 preamp. As I recall the ST-70 had 6L6's or EL 34's as output tubes. Such big fat sound going into a set of JBL D130's 15" woofers with JBL  xovers and the 075 ring radiator tweeters. As it's said "those were the days."

We are both correct. Eico and Dynakit had both had ST70 models. The Eico had 7591's as outputs, and Dynaco had EL34's. The Dynakits were a little later than Eico and were a better product. Though they had low prices, they were the audiophile amp and were around longer than a lot of other American manufactures. I moved from the tube Eico's to the transistor Dynacos driving AR3's with the PA3 preamp. The other end of the speaker design spectrum from your JBL's. Electronics may have improved by orders of magnitude but speaker systems haven't. Of course ears haven't improved much over the last 50,000 years either.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

12 hours ago, LarryF said:

We are both correct. Eico and Dynakit had both had ST70 models. The Eico had 7591's as outputs, and Dynaco had EL34's. The Dynakits were a little later than Eico and were a better product. Though they had low prices, they were the audiophile amp and were around longer than a lot of other American manufactures. I moved from the tube Eico's to the transistor Dynacos driving AR3's with the PA3 preamp. The other end of the speaker design spectrum from your JBL's. Electronics may have improved by orders of magnitude but speaker systems haven't. Of course ears haven't improved much over the last 50,000 years either.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Them I'm sure you remember these:

Eico ST70.jpg

Dyna st 70.JPG

Hi Larry. The information you're providing here is compelling and rich. I cannot thank you enough. I think I'm finally understanding all of this now that I've gone back over the ssm manual. To sum up. All of my lavs wired for use with zax lemos - dpa b6 and sanken with white wire tied to ground - should be set as follows?

dpa = In dpa

b6 = In b6

sanken = In otH

do i have that correct?

-Ken

28 minutes ago, osa said:

Hi Larry. The information you're providing here is compelling and rich. I cannot thank you enough. I think I'm finally understanding all of this now that I've gone back over the ssm manual. To sum up. All of my lavs wired for use with zax lemos - dpa b6 and sanken with white wire tied to ground - should be set as follows?

dpa = In dpa

b6 = In b6

sanken = In otH

do i have that correct?

-Ken

Correct.

Lef

On 12/3/2017 at 11:21 AM, LarryF said:

Hi Eric,

My first kit amplifier was also an Eico,  the ST-70 stereo amp. Later, there were Scott kits (DC powered filaments for low hum, Wow!), Heathkit test equipment, and Harmon Kardon 60 Watt per channel power amps (3 absolutely huge 20 lb transformers). The last one I built for and with a college friend. I didn't find out he was color blind until he handed me a 1k Ohm resistor (brown black red) instead of the correct 1 Meg Ohm resistor (brown black green). It was the last part. My recent kit building life flashed before my eyes and we checked every trimmed and soldered part in that "finished" kit. Somehow he had gotten every other of the hundreds of parts right. Capacitors then were color coded also.

In some ways, you and I have been very fortunate to have come from glowing empty state devices and 250 Watt soldering guns (!) to modern electronics with billions of transistors and surface mount construction. We are in a state of wonder. The kids (ha!) just see a solid blob that does magic things, that is replaced in 6 months by a brighter, smaller blob that does even more incomprehensible magic things.

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

I was a Heath Kit kid. Had a HiFi amp, tuner, and preamp. All tubes. Karen Carpenter never sounded so good. Still use a couple of Heath Kit oscillators.

Side Bar: Anyone know what the first Heathkit was?

13 hours ago, Glen Trew said:

I was a Heath Kit kid. Had a HiFi amp, tuner, and preamp. All tubes. Karen Carpenter never sounded so good. Still use a couple of Heath Kit oscillators.

Side Bar: Anyone know what the first Heathkit was?

I had to look it up and was surprised by their first kit. I never had any HeathKit HiFi gear but friends did. 

When I started at Lectrosonics, our audio signal generator and VTVM were Heathkits. (VTVM is Vacuum Tube Volt Meter for all those raised on DVM's.) 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

8 hours ago, LarryF said:

I had to look it up and was surprised by their first kit. I never had any HeathKit HiFi gear but friends did. 

When I started at Lectrosonics, our audio signal generator and VTVM were Heathkits. (VTVM is Vacuum Tube Volt Meter for all those raised on DVM's.) 

Best Regards,

Larry Fisher

Seeing a finished example of the kit is worth the trip to the EAA museum. Sadly, it's also what killed Mr. Heath.

18 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

O'scope.

First kit? Nope.