haifai

DPA 4017 c vs b preamp

Hello everyone,

i am about to buy a new shotgun.

Recently i rented a DPA 4017 mkII with the b-preamp for a short docu shut and liked it very mouch, i want to buy one.

Now i have to decide - c-preamp or b-preamp?

I gonna use the dpa 4017 in an M/S setup - so less weight is better....

My recorders are SD 744t and 788t - so i could use the lowcut there (as i do if i have to use sennheiser MKH 8050 or 8060 that have a very boomy lowend too...)

At the specs it seems like the preamp in the c-version even provides better dynamic range and less noisefloor...

So for real field use - do i have to have the b - preamp?

Thanx for sharing your experiences,

Karsten

No, the c amp is fine. That last time I wanted the B amp was in very heavy winds where I felt like I could use all the help I could get. 

However, if you’re going wireless, it is possible to overload the tx with near-sub or subsonic rumble. That’s where the b can help, but tbh I rarely if ever reach for it. 

6 hours ago, haifai said:

Hello everyone,

i am about to buy a new shotgun.

Recently i rented a DPA 4017 mkII with the b-preamp for a short docu shut and liked it very mouch, i want to buy one.

Now i have to decide - c-preamp or b-preamp?

I gonna use the dpa 4017 in an M/S setup - so less weight is better....

My recorders are SD 744t and 788t - so i could use the lowcut there (as i do if i have to use sennheiser MKH 8050 or 8060 that have a very boomy lowend too...)

At the specs it seems like the preamp in the c-version even provides better dynamic range and less noisefloor...

So for real field use - do i have to have the b - preamp?

Thanx for sharing your experiences,

Karsten

Hello, And I believe the "C" has a max SPL of 8 DB higher than the "B".

Thank you, Martin

The C don't have high pass filter, this means more manipulation noise, more boom panning noise, but admits higher max SPL level (8dB more), have a full bandwith (Extended lows) and is small. The B have a permanent filter at 50Hz, plus an additional filter at 120Hz, and a high frequency lift.

IMMO for drama or TV work is more adecuate the B (I have both)