Mac and DVDs

Hello Tom,

I don't think it is a RAM issue.

Boom Recorder allocates and locks the memory for the ring buffer to be absolutely sure that it can not be swapped away because of memory pressure.

It is weird that the flower doesn't appear in this case, I will have to make a new version for you so we can debug the problem.

Cheers,

Take

Thanks again Take.

BTW, The playback from sound log via the Motu outs works well.  The new tread in Current News (welcoming Marc) is very informative.  It would be great to develop some form of basic time line (with running time code) in playback within the recorder program shell, but I'm sure that is not an easy thing to do.

My friend JB ran some lengthy tests last night & had no problems: Real time DVD-RAM, G4, 6 tracks of 48K / 24B, 40 min takes, stop & start at end, no stop issues.  Maybe I just did something wrong. He was running an earlier version of BR than my V7.19.

Best,

Tom 

Hello Tom,

I have been thinking about it, there may be some race condition that get more easily triggered by slow disks (i.e. DVD-RAM). I have to investigate.

But I am working on my living room right now. Yesterday I bought a IKEA table and I chopped it up to fit better in my room and make it the height of a Japanese table (14 inches/35 cm).

Cheers,

Take

Hello everyone,

I've just released Boom Recorder 7.20, this includes a fix for the problem of stopping a recording on slow media.

I hope this will solve the problem Tom and Ron are experiencing when recording to DVD-RAM.

It is difficult to explain the problem, but here is a link to a wikipedia article that explains what was happening:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_starvation

Basically when the disk can not completely keep up with the ring buffer the state change is no longer checked. So I made the state machine simpler and let it always check a state change after writing a single chunk of audio data.

Cheers,

Take

Hello everyone,

I've just released Boom Recorder 7.20, this includes a fix for the problem of stopping a recording on slow media.

I hope this will solve the problem Tom and Ron are experiencing when recording to DVD-RAM.

Cheers,

Take

What took you so long! Another amazing upgrade from the amazing Take. We need to create some new AWARD category for which you will unquestionably be the first recipient.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

• 2 months later...

I've just tested the DVDram burner from the 744T as an external drive for Boom Recorder. I format the disk using utilities on the computer and Boom Recorder seems to be able write to it until I wait between rolls for about 5 minutes. Then if I hit record on Boom Recorder the red buffer wheel on Boom Recorder goes all the way around and then the whole computer hangs. Wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation? The burner works great with the 744T On it's own, writing to an external FW drive, Boom Recorder has never failed. Many Thanks, Patrick