Lav on Fireman suit?

joinwooHK

I recently did this for a doc for a certain sports network with the Detroit Fire Deparment. Production was hoping to go on an actual fire run with the fire fighters. Since this was a doc situation, we had to be ready to go when the bells rang.  I did not have a lot of time to consider where to mic them, so I put the transmitter in the interior pockets of their fire oats, ran the cable up zipper line (taping it down) and using a vamp clip, attached the lav (Sanken COS 11 or  Tram 50) covered with moleskin and let it set. Unfortunately for us, our particular engine house did not get any fire runs that night, so I could not put the rig to the ultimate test. However, we staged the FF gearing up and getting in the truck, and the rigs held and sounded pretty decent for being underneath the coat. Obviously for a staged production you have more time and ability to consider other options such as a helmet rig. 

• 2 weeks later...