Ty Ford

REVIEW: Schoeps miniCMIT

Nice review. Meant a lot at the moment.

Plan to test a rental unit toward knowing how it does at 12V with ZMT Phantom and a shout. If it holds, might have to get one for the kit and those low ceilings amd battery life.

mini Cmit seems picking up more room echo than other shotguns. I sold and bought microphones, so no serious A/B comparing testing tho... I had cs3e, 8060, 416 as shotgun, MKH50 as interior mic. I never expecting the mini cmit has the same pickup pattern indoor as the MKH50, but it feels quite a bit echoey, maybe it's only from me. 

Hiro

I played with one and it seemed to be very sensitive to the whooshes from what I'd consider to be a normal speed boom swing. This is the only thing holding me back from getting one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I've only used the Mini in conjunction with the CMIT in a two hander interview situation with a 641 on the interviewer. To me the mini and the CMIT sounded the same.

If anything the mini needs slightly less gain. I really need to test and confirm that.

In regards to the whoosh wind noise on quick movements I've found the CMIT and Mini on par using the Foamie or a BB Windkiller. Though with the short preamp you really have to be careful about the placement of the foam/softie. One thing I have noticed due to it be being a lighter rig (Added the ZMT PH at the same time) I am more tempted to throw the mic around more freely, in detriment of good sound.    

In my experience (6 months now) with the miniCMIT, it has become our outdoor mic of choice. Very happy with the sound of it. The reach is location dependent as with all mics. If conditions suck (rain, wind or both) we use the MKH 70 (a workhorse supreme) just to save the miniCMIT from that kind of abuse. Interior sets I've used the mini and 641 together and solo and was pleased for how we used them. I've never done a side by side comparison of the big n mini. I'd guess there are differences, but environment most likely would render that difference null. Nice review Ty. Thanks.

CrewC