DPA Core 4061's

roundbadge

Got some new DPA Core 4061's.

First impressions they sound  really good.interesting I was expecting lower noise floor to my legacy 4061's but sounds about the same.

overall not a night and day sonic difference but the thing I do hear is on louder stuff the Core versions retain transients and clarity better and obviously don't break up/distort as quickly.that increased 14 db headroom.

they're gonna be useful for sure.

Same here, DPA if you’re listening please roll out a Core 4071. 

Roundbadge, if you’re looking for a lower noise floor try a 4060. It has almost no detectable self-noise. Can handle quite a bit of volume too. Not sure why so many people go for the 4061 my 4060s seem to handle almost everything I throw at it. And a Core 4060 would do even better. 

Derek,

I agree with your thoughts of the 4060. It does not have any noticeable noise floor unlike the 4098's. I have several 4060's, 4061's and 4071's. My go to lav now is the 4060 by far. The 4061 and 4071 are just another tool in the drawer. The 4061 for scenes where I know I need that little extra head room and the 4071 for scenes where I have to bury the mike a little more in the wardrobe. It's minimal yes but the size stops me from going to the 4071 more.

Roundbadge in your opinion is the extra SPL worth the extra price if their is no difference in the overall sound? Or is it just as easy to set your limiters when you know you have somebody raising their voice?

Bill

On 12/24/2017 at 8:42 AM, Sound Intuition said:

Derek,

I agree with your thoughts of the 4060. It does not have any noticeable noise floor unlike the 4098's. I have several 4060's, 4061's and 4071's. My go to lav now is the 4060 by far. The 4061 and 4071 are just another tool in the drawer. The 4061 for scenes where I know I need that little extra head room and the 4071 for scenes where I have to bury the mike a little more in the wardrobe. It's minimal yes but the size stops me from going to the 4071 more.

Roundbadge in your opinion is the extra SPL worth the extra price if their is no difference in the overall sound? Or is it just as easy to set your limiters when you know you have somebody raising their voice?

Bill

Having an extra 14db of headroom will be helpful for those crazy loud scenes.I'm not replacing my legacy mics w/ cores.just get some as needed or when the old ones completely crap out I suppose.

screaming into the cores vs legacy I could hear the core sounded more open less compressed sounding w same gain settings.in nutty loud situations i'd imagine my transmitters would need gaining down first though.that said having the extra headroom at the mic will always help.

looks like theres a 4060 core[+8db more headroom] version and 4063 coming as well.I'd imagine a core 4071 soon after.

I was listening to the core vs 4060.I could still hear some self noise on the 4060's.

I think the core 4060's would be great for me.