Powering three AudioLtd Recievers externally, what solution?

ljudet

Hi!

I have three wireless systems from Audio Limited Envoy series that supports external powering. The thing is that two of the recievers are CXIR and supports power between 7-18 volts, and one MXIR that only supports 7-12 volts. The current draw is 55-150mah from the recievers.

I am looking for a solution to externally power all the three from one battery. I have looked at some NP style 11.1 volt batteries, as well as Li-on batterys such as the Inspired Energy ones. I've also looked at the 14.4 volts NP style batteries, but then I have to step down the 14.4 volts to 12 in a way that still makes the battery happy. Have looked into some RC NiMH packs as well but I miss the indicator feature of those.

I have all the cables for this, but I would love to get some advice of how to do this in a good and safe way.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Hello, The first thing I notice is that your power needs look low. Are you sure that is the actual power they require?

Thanks, Martin

Ok, I just looked it up. Those receivers only gobble about a watt? That seems really low. Or efficient. Has anyone verified this?

Thanks, Martin

Hi Martin!

The only source I've got is the manual for them, which gives me those numbers. However, maybe it would be an idea to measure the draw in some way if it's possible, to see if the draw is anywhere near what the manual says.

The MXIR can be powered by a 9v battery as well, but I want to get away from changing batteries from time to time, at least on the reciever side.

Thanks, Anders

1 hour ago, ljudet said:

Hi Martin!

The only source I've got is the manual for them, which gives me those numbers. However, maybe it would be an idea to measure the draw in some way if it's possible, to see if the draw is anywhere near what the manual says.

The MXIR can be powered by a 9v battery as well, but I want to get away from changing batteries from time to time, at least on the reciever side.

Thanks, Anders

Anders, Do you have some way to test those specs? I'm not saying the specs are wrong, it just looks low to me. I don't know if you noticed this or not, but the manufacturer states that it's a few more percentage points more efficient with the higher voltage and lower amperage. And I tend to like less amps. 

Thanks, Martin

1 minute ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Anders, Do you have some way to test those specs? I'm not saying the specs are wrong, it just looks low to me. I don't know if you noticed this or not, but the manufacturer states that it's a few more percentage points more efficient with the higher voltage and lower amperage. And I tend to like less amps. 

Thanks, Martin

I do not know a way currently to do that, but I will try to find out something. I looked in the manuals for the RMS2020 system, and there I didn't see any statements at all about what the reciever units would draw. Nothing about that in the 2040's manual either if I am right.

I've noticed what you say about the higher efficiency at higher voltage and lower amperage, and it's clearly interesting. However, the manual states that the MXIR's maximum allowed voltage is 12v, so I don't think I would like to push it higher than that. If all of them would have been CXIR's it would be of interest to go up higher in voltage though.

Maybe I'll drop a mail to Audio Limited to hear what they have to say about this.

Will se if I can measure them, and then come back with some results.
/Anders

I believe that the 12v maximum is to do with the regulators inside the Rx. I would not offer them over volts as this may well precipitate the demise of the power regulators. The earlier suggestion of an NP1 with regulated 12v OPs is a good one, and could work for various battery forms and/or distro systems. Could you give us more info about what other kit you intend to run in your rig (some other kit may have a 12v OP eg)?

It could also be that you could have a lead made for the 12v mas Rx that could have a regulator in the lead ;-)

Audio 'may' be in the office over the next few days. Try calling them - they are very friendly, and very very helpful.

Enjoy the festivities ;-) Simon B