Line or Mic Level Input

uscsoundie

10 hours ago, uscsoundie said:

Line or Mic level input preferred on my mixer?

Know the differences between the two types of signals and the basics but, beyond that, unclear which is best for production mixing. Is there a discernable difference?

Explain like I'm 5.

Someone saying this from USC is classic...  Is everything you guys learn at that school dumbed down to "like I was 5'?

Pretty funny....

USC soundie. There are a couple of alumni here, including me. I'd be happy to sit down and have a coffee with you to discuss things.

If you're serious about starting your career in production sound, it would be a good ideal to do a lot of reading through this forum. There are lots of discussions in here about gain staging, among hundreds of other interesting topics relating directly to production sound.

Yeah, super good idea to get a mentor or two.  RPS's offer is genuine and you should take advantage.  LA is still a huge base for production sound mixers and you should be able to find more than a few people willing to at least have coffee, if not let you visit a set or two.  Good luck.

D.

7 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

Someone saying this from USC is classic...  Is everything you guys learn at that school dumbed down to "like I was 5'?

Pretty funny....

"Explain Like I'm Five" is quite a popular saying in some circles, it doesn't strike me as being at all unusual that phrase. (doesn't necessarily mean literally that)

Then is even a very popular reddit (over 15 million readers on it right now at this point in time, & I'm sure some other days it has way more) of that name:
https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/
(it is a fascinating place to browse! You'll find yourself learning new things)