newzhack

camera link

7 minutes ago, Derek H said:

Yup, just disable pilot tone in the menu. Sounds pretty good. 

If the UM400 is in IFB mode it will work well. 

The latest Lectro transmitters have a specific emulation for G3

Cool, thanks for the info!

18 hours ago, berniebeaudry said:

So that would mean that a Sennheiser G3 IEM could also get signal from an IFBT4 I would think.  How about from a UM400?

Any Lectro transmitter capable of transmitting "IFB" should work with the G3 series.

6 minutes ago, Philip Perkins said:

UM400 rocks for IFB TX--a good use for a TX that isn't worth a whole lot anymore and that Lectro won't re-freq, but is still very solid.

Trick is to snag a Block 25 one (they can be had cheap) because there's going to be a little bit of a frequency hole between the uplink/downlink of the cell transmitters in the 600mhz range here stateside.

On 12/28/2017 at 12:22 PM, Derek H said:

Haven't used it, sorry. The G3 works well enough for me and are pretty ubiquitous. You can pick them up used easily. They also make a nice IEM version with a headphone amp for using like an IFB.

+1

Love the combination of regular and IEM G3 units, the IEM units are especially flexible for both client headsets and camera hops.  Plus the used market is full of them and it's not such a pricey situation if the camera op or clients abuse them.

I ended up getting the Sony's and haven't used them yet. I was preparing some cables for input and output and wanted to verify what I found with the two cables they sent me. 

The tip of the stereo connector is 2

the center part of the connector is 3

the upper sleeve is ground

The cable they sent me had the red cable on pin3 and the black on pin 2, that was kind of confusing. 

On 30/12/2017 at 4:39 AM, codyman said:

I use a Lectrosonic IFBT4 as a transmitter for my IFB headsets and funny enough, a Sennheiser G3 can pick up a Lectrosonic IFB transmitter signal no problem / sounds great so I use that on cameras.  Two AA NiMH batteries in a G3 receiver on camera lasts 12 hours easy.

I was wandering around the forum in hope to find that exact information! Thanks!

I've been using R1a as cam hop but didn't like the not locking connector and the knob which i had to tape over to prevent accidental changes. Plus i had a couple problem lately to feed a healthy signal into line level input, especially on the Alexa mini.

I'll be testing this workflow tomorrow!

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Ben B said:

Plus i had a couple problem lately to feed a healthy signal into line level input, especially on the Alexa mini.

I'll be testing this workflow tomorrow!

be aware that the G3 100 has a very low line level output as well, so a G3 IFB receiver might be the better choice if you need a hot output.

chris

17 hours ago, chrismedr said:

be aware that the G3 100 has a very low line level output as well, so a G3 IFB receiver might be the better choice if you need a hot output.

chris

G3 at +12db and the Alexa's preamp turned up a bit has yielded enough oomph when I send tone to match the level on my mixer's output.

Yes, little secret that a G3/G2 can receive a Lectro IFB signal no problem. You might need to disable pilot tone in the receiver. 

19 hours ago, Dave Pullmer said:

How does this translate to fidelity with the G3 receiver being fed by a lectro tx? 

Same as using a G3 tx? 

I just tried with both of my setups. I have a 633 with an UM400 as IFB Tx and a G3 Rx. Sounded perfectly fine to me for a scratch track to the cam.

I also tried with my 688 and Lectro T1 Tx and G3 IEM Rx for the boom op. It sounded as good as when i used it with my G3 Tx.

I think i just found the perfect setup with this. I like the higher output power of the Lectro IFB Tx and the battery life of the G3 Rx.

6 hours ago, Ben B said:

I think i just found the perfect setup with this. I like the higher output power of the Lectro IFB Tx and the battery life of the G3 Rx.

That sounds pretty good to me.

6 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

Of course, the higher the power of a transmitter you use near receivers (such as in a bag), the more it desensitizes the receivers.

I've been using my IFBT4 in my bag next to my SRc and SRb for years.  No problems so far...