View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

• 2 weeks later...

They could have painted out the boom pretty easily I'm sure (all green and just one very wide and very long shot) but they wanted dry lav sound and an ISO track of each of the five talents, so I agreed to sit down and mix instead of one man booming it all. Plus I got all the time I needed to adjust and correct lavs until I was 100% satisfied with the results, something that's very rare these days.

• 4 weeks later...

I got to do the sound design and some of the music composition for a new ballet: "Figures of Speech" by Alonzo King / Lines Ballet (SF).  A lot of work but pretty big fun--a score based on human speech: mostly endangered languages and songs in those languages.  In addition to recordings from several archives, I flew in all kinds of my location sfx and ambiance recordings from over the years, and Bernie Krause himself "lent" us some great bug tracks.  56 QLab cues in a 54 minute ballet!  Runs thru Sunday @ Yerba Buena Center in SF.

all.jpg

Y+R.jpg

Most aspects of yesterday's gig, including pictures, are under NDA for now. But I can say that I got to help record Aoi Yamaguchi as she wrote some great (and big!) calligraphic stuff. She's an amazing artist; I'm still thinking about her work.

I mainly rolled on an interview with her and worked to capture the sound of her brushes and ink on paper.

Here's a picture from her website that shows her writing something kind of close to what she wrote yesterday. And yes, she emphasizes that she writes, she doesn't paint:

Edits-40_v2_w2000.jpg

Check out her website if you want to see more of her work:

https://www.aoiyamaguchi.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Full house on the Racque d'Amore recording @ previews for "Ain't Too Proud" @ Berkeley Rep.  Big Broadway Fun--all stops pulled out.  Tony winners as dept. heads, director from "Jersey Boys", huge cast of Broadway singers+dancers that sing and move like the real Temps (and Supremes etc etc) and a 12 member band of mostly NYC show players--flawless, amazing.  I spent 2 days pinching myself blue that I was working with these folks.  They have Really Big Plans for this show, Broadway, tours and....?

IMG_5054.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Emptying the shop in prep for an oddball concert recording gig.  The location is a small museum with players in various rooms.  No cabling across floors etc allowed by the museum staff--so 5 individual recorders jam synced each recording 2-4 tracks, plus the JoeCo rig for recording the few players who are near enough to exterior windows that we can cable in that way.  Jam, push record, hope for the best!

IMG_5183.jpg

• 4 months later...