View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

On February 14, 2018 at 9:04 PM, John Blankenship said:

The network mixer is in one of the broadcast trucks.

Sorry I missed you this trip.  Hopefully, another time.

It was a busy time for all involved.  I was just giving you some grief.  I was at the Convention Center for nine days leading up to the day of the Super Bowl so there was really no time to get together anyway.

• 1 month later...

The cockpit @ the National Theatre de la Danse @ the Palais de Chaillot, Paris, for a 2 week sold out run of Lines Ballet's "The Propelled Heart" with Lisa Fischer.  This theatre (and Paris in general) has a lot of stairs....  Tough job, but....I could walk 20 ft down a hall from this position and see the scene in the 2nd pic every day....so not bad....?

IMG_5515.jpg

IMG_6000.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/9/2018 at 1:46 PM, Philip Perkins said:

A crate of shotguns prepped for a live music shoot outdoors.  So far I think at least 3 of these will be on wireless to avoid foot-traffic crossing cable runs.  Groups of players all over an outdoor plaza downtown.    Those cameras can just shoot around these mics, thanks.

IMG_6161.jpg

Thats a lot of fur. Whats inside the zeppelins?

6 minutes ago, Dave Pullmer said:

Nice. Is the air quality affected from the fires around LA? We had smoke around Vancouver all summer from the fires up north.

Phil and I are neighbors. We, and the rest of the San Francisco Bay Area, are under smoke from the Camp Fire in northeast Northern California. Smoke from the LA fires is mostly being pushed out to sea. Here's a NASA photo from Friday:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/camp-fire-rages-in-california

california_tmo_2018313.jpg?itok=v8JU2gDx

On 11/11/2018 at 12:51 PM, Philip Perkins said:

2 CS3e, 1 KMR82i, 1 RSM 190i, 1 416 and 2 MK41.  But the air is so bad in the SF area that the show was postponed, being outdoors and all, these

will have to stay in their nest a bit longer.

They sure look all cute and snuggly in their little crate. And here's hoping everyone out there stays safe.

• 4 weeks later...

The Roscoe Mitchell Quartet  blowing us all over last night @ The Lab in SF.   Roscoe, formerly of many famous bands including the Art Ensemble of Chicago is giving us one last big gift of his music (2 nights) before he decamps from the Bay Area.  Big loss, sez me. 

As usual, there were several unconnected and unsynced DSLR type cameras in play.  Also as usual, anymore, no one asked for a feed or TC or any such thing.

Kids today.

IMG_6248.jpg

Mr. Mitchell is the real deal. I first encountered the Art Ensemble of Chicago at the Ann Arbor Jazz and Blues Festival in the early ‘70’s. Had no idea what I was walking into🙂.

In the ‘80’s we shot a sequence with them as part of a longer documentary encompassing the African-American music scene in Chicago (produced for Disney, which was truly bizarre). We were fortunate to have filmed it in a good sized room at the South Shore Country Club (also the setting for the exterior of one a scene for “Blues Brothers” before it was renovated).

The room acoustics really added to the sequence, and group knew how to play it to their advantage. Kicking myself for not making copies of those multi-tracks before they landed in the Disney vaults, where they will most likely remain (along with some other good performances and interviews).

-Scott