View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

Live n learn n earn I always say. Thanks for the good news Richard and all. Perhaps I read it wrong back when or they decided to carry it along after all. Most likely my bad. I have a 002 rack at home that is 7. something current that I like and need for music. I am also getting the new IMac and 003 rack+Factory for my home studio. That is PT8.0. My Mbox is for playback or BoomRecorder mostly. Works fine for that.

CrewC

Another weekend and I am sitting next to Willow yet again. This is my 8th weekend this year. Phil, you have keen eye sight to see the channel markings I have on my very old Cooper. I am a little crazy so that may be the best answer. I find it easy to assign a symbol to a character rather than a trait like big guy, small guy, white guy, etc.... If I did TV or film rather than commercials I would probably call them by script name. Also I like to draw and entertain myself. Did I mention I'm crazy?

CrewC

There is certainly more info in my photo than I ever imagined others would see. 20 some years ago when I first moved up to mixing, Steve Bowerman was kind enough to boom for me. We had a lot of fun. One thing Steve did every day was bring the NY Times to work. I used to give him S@#t about it. One day I started reading it and I am now an addict. I don't leave home without it. Thanks Steve.

CrewC

There is certainly more info in my photo than I ever imagined others would see. 20 some years ago when I first moved up to mixing, Steve Bowerman was kind enough to boom for me. We had a lot of fun.

CrewC

Steve Bowerman boomed for me on one whole movie, a rare instances of Don not working with me. This was on Billy Crystal's directorial debut, "Mr. Saturday Night." Steve was terrific and did a really fine job --- I hope I didn't give him too hard a time because he wasn't Don. Steve is a really good man and has gone on to be a really good sound mixer. I think he was reading the New York Times back then also --- there wasn't a lot of time for reading, though, and it never got in the way of the work.

-  Jeff Wexler

Steve Bowerman boomed for me on one whole movie, a rare instances of Don not working with me. This was on Billy Crystal's directorial debut, "Mr. Saturday Night." Steve was terrific and did a really fine job --- I hope I didn't give him too hard a time because he wasn't Don. Steve is a really good man and has gone on to be a really good sound mixer. I think he was reading the New York Times back then also --- there wasn't a lot of time for reading, though, and it never got in the way of the work.

-  Jeff Wexler

I forgot Steve did that with you. Great guy to be team mates with for sure. One of the big differences between Films or TV and Commercials is that we do have the time to read the NY Times and post here as well. I have finished the 1st section so far and been posting all morning.

CrewC

Hey Jeff,

This might be off topic.....but since you were talking about old crew guys.

Do you know if Gary Holland is still in the biz? I did a film with him once abot 13 yrs ago...and we lost touch since then. Just Curious...

Well, yes and no...  I am still in contact with Gary (we did work together for many years) and he basically had to leave the business for some health related issues (double hip replacement and some other back difficulties). He has gone back to doing some sound work, back to work that is actually more stressful and taxing than working on big feature films with me and Don. He went back to doing what he loves, working on Cousteau documentaries, at sea, in the Amazon rain forrest, environmental and ecological things. Gary is also trying to get off the ground a documentary movie about Katrina, New Orleans (his home), and the social, environmental and political impact of that disaster.

So, he is keeping busy but not working specifically in sound in our industry anymore.

Hang on to these pix.  Most of the old pictures we've been looking at were taken by professional set stills photogs, and we don't have those much anymore.  The documentation of our work is now up to us--I sure I had more pictures from jobs even just a few years ago.  So many people come and go in the biz, we forget how we did things or even how we looked.  Last night I recorded an incredible group of players who are likely never to work together again in that sort of ensemble, and at the end of the night I realized I had been too focussed on the recording to take a single still.

Philip Perkins

• 3 weeks later...

Hey RVD, hard to say what MD was up to. Wisteria Lane was 1 street up from us, but they weren't there today. I was going to visit Mick on stage, but we only had a half hour lunch at 2:00 pm so I bailed on that idea. They keep upgrading the house's on Elm St, it looks good. NY Street is under full construction. Many cranes and condors beeping and belching all day. Suppose to be rebuilt by June. Add in all the trams and that is a noisy freaking place to record dialog as you well know. At least it was a great spring day in old LA... Peace.

CrewC

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Michael,, are those disk golf courses? Thats my game. I never got into the traditional game, but disk is fun and challenging as well as addicting so they both share that quality. If I ever get back to Hot Lanta as we once called it I will look you up.

CrewC