View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

My office yesterday: The Mars Desert.

Ok, maybe not quite, but close enough. It's the Mars Society Research Station in Hanksville, Utah.

image.thumb.jpg.b8ba85ccd4e3a2d9b8035a10

Doing some binaural recordings with Fritz:image.thumb.jpg.64ac1bf0acbe244c16f427c2

To give a bit more context, I've been working on a travel show, strictly as a "binaural audio engineer" creating dynamic content for immersive experience segments. Here are a few more photos, part of a series we're calling, "The Adventures of Fritz":

Fritz and I having some fun in Times Square:

image.thumb.jpg.7bbd4954fd8f03ad995a68c0

Fritz and José do Miami:

image.thumb.jpg.13fab1b2ee72cb6d766837fe

Edited by Jose Frias

The labor of Lines Ballet's fall season and its accompanying doc shoot moved to the Skywalker Sound scoring studio for two mega-days for the recording of the score for the new ballet "The Propelled Heart" with Ms. Lisa Fischer and JC Maillard. Leslie Ann Jones flew the plane, while I did the secretarial work and recorded dialog and 2 mixes for the film. Lotsa music was made.  744 on the counter recorded room mics in CR and studio and wires, another 744 hidden over by the patchbay in the BG rolled and rolled a music two mix for the film (on the same TC).  The laptop, which was recording also in rehearsals etc, was busy here doing pre edits and file management.  Mr. Lou Weinert and his camera had TC slates placed at strategic locations in the CR and studio.  Big Fun in the Big Room.  PS: those Skywalker folks eat good.

ss gak.jpg

Edited by Philip Perkins

Still weighing my options on a new recorder. I do own a 442 & 744t and a 633 as alts if my 4 goes down. I'm using my back up drive and I got the CF card option formatted and ready to go, but it is time for a new main recorder for me. But just like always, my Deva 4 is working all day in 12 to 30 degrees everyday so far.

CrewC

Still weighing my options on a new recorder. I do own a 442 & 744t and a 633 as alts if my 4 goes down. I'm using my back up drive and I got the CF card option formatted and ready to go, but it is time for a new main recorder for me. But just like always, my Deva 4 is working all day in 12 to 30 degrees everyday so far.

CrewC

OMG. Is that the one I sold you???

• 2 weeks later...

How I spent Thanksgiving: recording highly techno electronic+instrument improv but software-guided music in the living room of the redoubtable Gino Robair,  28 tracks of crunchy musical goodness from 6 crackerjack players.  Cheers to our Swedish guests and conductors, Palle Dahlstadt and Per Anders Nillson!

p

palle.jpg

19 minutes ago, sounddguy said:

Supposed to be doing employee interviews when the GM says can you shoot a young lady that wrote a song about the dealership? 

Producer says how about in the back of a pick up truck.  I add in, on bales of hay.

NisNewnan-singer.jpg

cool beans...is that a sennheisser mkh 50 overhead?

On December 4, 2015 at 8:29:03 PM, sounddguy said:

Supposed to be doing employee interviews when the GM says can you shoot a young lady that wrote a song about the dealership? 

Producer says how about in the back of a pick up truck.  I add in, on bales of hay.

NisNewnan-singer.jpg

Except for a bit of rustling, the hay bales probably helped out some.

Have had occasion over the years to do quite a few setups like these. Always a challenge getting a good balance. Nice use of the earworn mic-can barely see it in the photo.

-S

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...