View From The Office:

Philip Perkins

9 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Hanging with the cats: recording for Phill Greenlief's "Barbed Wire" project on the stage @ Mills College.  The hall's reverb is kind of boring but the sound down in the entrance stairwell is outstanding.  2 AT 4033s parked there for fairy dust.

BW.jpg

You're having entirely too much fun, Philip.

• 3 weeks later...

Another oddball music recording challenge: 14 laptops (with a very wide variety and quality of interfaces, incl. NO interface), a table coated with sandpaper played with brushes equipped with piezo mics following a score projected on them from above, 3 onstage submixers (a Mackie-fest!) with "nutted TRS" half-jacked direct outs pulled off their insert points, 4 snakes, 2 hall pairs and a trombone with a mic substituted for its mouthpiece, pointed at a speaker making highly variable feedback as the slide is moved and the position of the instrument changed, with this audio then heavily whanged in SuperCollider, all through a giant (new) Meyer sound system.  If anyone here has been around CalArts lately: this was the SF -area memorial concert for composer and music prof Mark Trayle, a cool dude passed on.

trayle.jpg

Bill Ruck just sent me this, doing some early Spring cleaning I guess.  1989, Stern Grove SF recording The Dixie Hummingbirds and other gospel acts for the film "Sacred Grove".  Note 3 "Harveyized" Nagras (2 tag-teaming the mix, looking at the Dolby SRs on the bottom of the stack) with a 3rd Harvey Nagra rolling an audience pair and an F1 rolling mix back up on 2 VHS machines (with TC in their audio tracks).  Bill Ruck's famous hifi audio DA in the stack as well.  Pacific Mobile Recorders truck.  Bill broke his foot during the setup and soldiered on to the wrap, for which I am still extremely grateful!  When I came back to record the same festival for the same film the next year the budget had been (surprise!) slashed, so it was me alone in my Econoline with 2 1/2" 8 track Tascams and a TC Nagra….we didn't know how good we had it this day.  This was early enough in the advent of the "Harvey Nagra" that these 3 probably constituted 75% of the total Nagras so modded at that point...

Stern Grove 89.PDF

Stern Grove 89 j.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

12842643_925214804266738_1884711169_o.th12443419_925214510933434_961090275_o.thu12722589_925215214266697_159414204_o.thu12804729_924954387626113_693960084163464

Idomeni. Borders between Greece - FYROM.
Refugees from Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Kurdistan and many more.

Hard day at work. Not only for physical, but also for psychological.
My prayers for a better future for these people.

Local weather: 6 Celsius, 82% humidity, soft rain, mud terrain.
Tragic in many ways.

I am sad.

Well, maybe my pictures of the office may not be as interesting or have the emotional impact of many I see in this thread, but they mean a lot to me. The views from the 2 roller doors, either side of my new workshop - in the NSW countryside, just north of Canberra.

This should keep me calm while I work.

Rastorder Workshop_view  roller door 1.jpg

Rastorder Workshop_view  roller door 2 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Recording @ Fantasy Studios in Berkeley--Larry Vuckovich, jazz piano elder statesman and former student of Vince Guaraldi's.  Yes--we got him to play both "Cast Your Fate To The Wind" and "Christmastime Is Here".  Big thanks to Louis B who recorded the interviews and handed off the music duties to me.

larryV.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...