Philip Perkins

View From The Office:

1,841 posts in this topic

On 3/15/2017 at 8:00 AM, Rachel Cameron said:

You have too much fun Philip. Is that a pair of 81s on that Piano?

That is 3 Schoeps MK4s on the piano!

8 hours ago, Rachel Cameron said:

I love this thread. Very nice Ryan. I love the Rockies. So much history is preserved out there. Nice going. What's the kit you're using?

Thanks! Zoom F8, Sanken CS3e, Senn MKH50, and 4x Lectros with DPA mics. And blimp systems for the shotgun when it's windy/snowy. 

My biggest project yet, indie feature for 5 weeks, but the DP said it's the best production sound he's ever heard. And he's DP'd 30+ features, so I'm doing something right.

On 3/26/2017 at 6:24 PM, RyanDoesSound said:

Zoom F8

Beautiful pictures..still envious. How's the F8 holding up in the extreme temps?

3 hours ago, Rachel Cameron said:

Beautiful pictures..still envious. How's the F8 holding up in the extreme temps?

Flawless so far. Down to -10f* and light snow on it and no issues. 

Preparing my first 3D VR shoot. Recording several object based audio tracks (a.k.a. ISOs 1f609.png)IMG_8468.JPG

On your 3D shoot--can they paint out booms or is it all a no-fly zone?  I've had it go both ways so far....

They could have painted out the boom pretty easily I'm sure (all green and just one very wide and very long shot) but they wanted dry lav sound and an ISO track of each of the five talents, so I agreed to sit down and mix instead of one man booming it all. Plus I got all the time I needed to adjust and correct lavs until I was 100% satisfied with the results, something that's very rare these days.

4 days in Hawaii, one day of work...all indoors at Medical Conference

IMG_0453.JPG

IMG_0457.JPG

Shooting commercial and it got crazy :)ae2147069f2c1454d4942c31aea24774.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got to do the sound design and some of the music composition for a new ballet: "Figures of Speech" by Alonzo King / Lines Ballet (SF).  A lot of work but pretty big fun--a score based on human speech: mostly endangered languages and songs in those languages.  In addition to recordings from several archives, I flew in all kinds of my location sfx and ambiance recordings from over the years, and Bernie Krause himself "lent" us some great bug tracks.  56 QLab cues in a 54 minute ballet!  Runs thru Sunday @ Yerba Buena Center in SF.

all.jpg

Y+R.jpg

Always fun to break up the routine work w different type of gigs. Looks interesting.

rewC

Cannot match Phils magic...green screen in smallest area ever!! Philadelphia 

IMG_0538.JPG

Most aspects of yesterday's gig, including pictures, are under NDA for now. But I can say that I got to help record Aoi Yamaguchi as she wrote some great (and big!) calligraphic stuff. She's an amazing artist; I'm still thinking about her work.

I mainly rolled on an interview with her and worked to capture the sound of her brushes and ink on paper.

Here's a picture from her website that shows her writing something kind of close to what she wrote yesterday. And yes, she emphasizes that she writes, she doesn't paint:

Edits-40_v2_w2000.jpg

Check out her website if you want to see more of her work:

https://www.aoiyamaguchi.com

Mallorca, Spain. Could get used to this kind of office view...

IMG_8818.JPG