Mattias Larsen

A question on MS recording for film

11 hours ago, Malcolm Davies Amps CAS said:

At one point the BBC insisted that all FX to be used on any documentary had to be recorded in MS. The consensus of opinion from a lot of the 150+ recordists at BBC Ealing was that this was a total waste of time and effort and had been dreamt up by some desk pilot at Wood Norton. It was never in vogue at ITV.

PBS here in states tried to follow suit as well.     It was not successful...   had to record separate M/S tracks.  .. so you ended up choosing to create a mono mix that included your wires and the M channel...   it got weird pretty quick.  

2 hours ago, johngooch said:

PBS here in states tried to follow suit as well.     It was not successful...   had to record separate M/S tracks.  .. so you ended up choosing to create a mono mix that included your wires and the M channel...   it got weird pretty quick.  

I lived through this period as well, and it was not just PBS that got into demanding this (for awhile).  In that all we had in the field at that time was 2 channels things, as was said, became very messy when trying to do normal verite work (maybe with a split boom/wires mix, or sometimes 2 booms split or wires on opposite channels to split a problematic one etc etc) and then we suddenly need MS ambiance...   At the behest of some directors I boomed some dialog scenes in stereo, with no place left over to put any wires or plants...and no real ability to pattern-off BG noises etc   Working alone with a minimal package it kind of sucked, and then I found out that the editors sort of didn't know what to make of those tracks and were just using them as mono....that was the end of that.    I had bought a Neumann RSM190i to do this work with, which then became a mic used for sfx gathering on nature etc films and a boffo drum overhead or center-choir mic...

Years ago, I did a music project that was simulcast over NPR. We recorded all the music on multi-track, and all the dialogue M/S. It worked very successfully, but I supervised the entire project from the beginning to the end, (including being at the broadcast head-end when the show aired).

Had I not been able to do the show from beginning to end, I would probably wouldn’t have handed off the M/S tracks to just anyone though.

I was very pleased with how the show turned out, but it was of those rare shoots where things generally worked in our favor.

-Scott

quote post="342771" timestamp="1515532873" name="johngooch" userid="89"] PBS here in states tried to follow suit as well.     It was not successful...   had to record separate M/S tracks.  .. so you ended up choosing to create a mono mix that included your wires and the M channel...   it got weird pretty quick.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk