SBretzke

Sound is no longer respected on set?

Jay, think of it as teaching an entire generation that thinks picture is the only element that matters in today’s production environments.

Your knowledge is screaming to pay it forward.

Like some of the others have said, it’s always been that way.

I’ll drive this in a new direction with the observation that in movie credits, sound department used to closely follow camera department. Now, who knows where they’re listed. Right behind the directors PA sometimes. Of course used to, only department heads were listed and credits were over in 30 seconds. Times change.

Saw a movie recently where in the credits the sound mixer was credited relatively early ish in the credit roll but then everyone else in the sound department was right near the end! Bit unusual I thought to chop up the sound department like that in the credits. 

Good stuff guys!

I care about my results after 52 years in the business.

You need to pass that attitude on when you are working

You are paid to get results and yes you may need to fight for them

I love it!

mike

On 1/13/2018 at 12:58 AM, edward chick said:

Jay, think of it as teaching an entire generation that thinks picture is the only element that matters in today’s production environments.

Your knowledge is screaming to pay it forward.

Edward, thanks for the compliment.

Writing a book that's readable and useful is a serious undertaking; trying to do it as a background task can take a year. I developed the "Half the Movie" proposal with Randy because   1) he's got insights that I think need to be shared with a lot of people in every craft (but particularly producing and directing), and   2) the publisher we approached would market and distribute it widely enough that it would reach those people... and net us a few bucks for our efforts.  

Since that project doesn't seem to be on the horizon, I'm paying it forward with consulting for young filmmakers, free tutorials and occasional custom software gadgets on my websites, contributing to an inner-city kids' media workshop, writing for the CAS Quarterly (detailed feature on neural nets coming next issue), developing a course for one of the large Boston-area universities, and -- of course -- my other books. Those latter two activities also get me a few bucks... which lets me pay my mortgage and do a couple of other necessary things.

Besides, I've talked to people in our industry who've self-published. Not for me. The two websites are plenty.

On 14/01/2018 at 6:04 AM, IronFilm said:

Saw a movie recently where in the credits the sound mixer was credited relatively early ish in the credit roll but then everyone else in the sound department was right near the end! Bit unusual I thought to chop up the sound department like that in the credits. 

An 'Above the Line' sound recordist perhaps :-).