Ed Denton

Comtek “compand” switch missing

I just recently bought these Comtek units from some sound recordist and I noticed that they are missing the little “compand” and “mic” switches are missing. Is this normal or are these fake units? They seem to work fine but not sure what to make of this.

8b4877b385d2b0b1b38fb5e022fa742c.jpg

I've never heard of any Comtek counterfeits. Are you sure the switches are not just recessed. and switchable with a pen or other pointy object. I used to have an M216 and some PR receivers but don't recall the switch arrangement.

A call to Comtek would solve the mystery...but I would bet the case was used for a few models and the recess and a switch was either used or not depending on the model ...

12 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

A call to Comtek would solve the mystery...but I would bet the case was used for a few models and the recess and a switch was either used or not depending on the model ...

+1

http://comtek.com/downloads/PR-216_manual.pdf  page 2 mentions an "optional enviromic"

Oh right yes! I saw that in the M-216 manual but when it said “optional compand auto/off switch” I took it to mean that it was optional whether the device was “off” or “auto”, not optional whether the device had the switch or not. But that clarified things.