“Upgrading” Wires

KGraham045

I am interested in getting a few DPA wires. I have an all Zaxcom kit so I’m interested in specifically the 4063 Core series.

I currently own a bunch of Sanken Cos 11ds and Countryman B6s. I realize that productions don’t seem to care what wires you have as long as you have enough. So I can’t really charge more for them and my main interest in them is for personal satisfaction/experience, but my question is, in others experience how worth it/satisfying is it to get other end Lavs vs industry standard B6 or Cos 11ds? Just curious.

You're asking others to pass judgement on what something is worth to you. I only know of one person who can make that call.

Having said that, how much value do you place on having different tools in your toolbox?

Every accomplished mechanic I know has a wide selection of choices at hand, from open-end and box-end wrenches in a vast array of both SAE and Metric sizes to standard and deep-wall socket wrenches of each type, and a seemingly endless collection of "the right tools for the right job."

From my POV, mics are among the most important tools in our toolbox.

1 hour ago, John Blankenship said:

You're asking others to pass judgement on what something is worth to you. I only know of one person who can make that call.

Having said that, how much value do you place on having different tools in your toolbox?

Every accomplished mechanic I know has a wide selection of choices at hand, from open-end and box-end wrenches in a vast array of both SAE and Metric sizes to standard and deep-wall socket wrenches of each type, and a seemingly endless collection of "the right tools for the right job."

From my POV, mics are among the most important tools in our toolbox.

I agree, and completely understand it’s subjective just wandering what others experiences/ thoughts are

21 minutes ago, KGraham045 said:

I agree, and completely understand it’s subjective just wandering what others experiences/ thoughts are

I use my DPA lavs more than my Sankens but carry both and both have their place.  The analogy I have made between the two is that the Sanken is more like a 416 with a bit of extra edge that helps it cut through, and the DPA is like a Schoeps -- more natural sounding.

Both have their place in my tool box.

It's not always about the sound of a Lav mic... sometimes it's about making it through a scene and it's accumpining wardrobe...they will all most likely sound just fine, some better than the others..

Sankens have a shape...so does a B6, so does a DPA... Sometimes that Mics shape will save your ass.. with it's ability to conform to a particular wardrobe.. or....not.

Some of them like a EMW Countryman and it's B6 brother do real well in water or sweat.. B6s can pop through a sweater in plain sight and remain hidden if color matched... These are other factors to consider..

Point being, with Lavs it's not always the sound...

More mics ..more sound choices and more tools in your tool chest to get you through a shoot day...

Keep on the lookout, buy from friends or trusted sources if buying used, and always keep a lookout for Lavs you may not immediately need, but may when that special time comes....Rain scene or who knows..

7 minutes ago, old school said:

Can't have to many IMO. Some voices sound better on certain mics. The hardest part is getting the time to try different mics.

CrewC

+1 

I normally go for B6 in a tie knot. But some voices won’t sound good no matter how much the capsule sticks out. Changed to a COS11 instead and suddenly the actor just sounds fine.

6 hours ago, Philip Perkins said:

Ayup.   The diff is sometimes really astonishing.

that made me think, did anybody ever tell an actor which lavs (or other mics) make them sound best?

after all this would be very valuable info for them - I mean I'd say their voice is probably one of the most valuable assets to them. they know they know their shoe size etc to tell wardrobe, what if they could tell the sound department which mics tend to sound best for their voice.

chris

Most didn't really care or want to know about techno stuff, in my experience, as long as they had confidence in you, the soundie, making them sound good.  The few that have been interested were usually also VO guys, who had their own mini studios and thus owned gear themselves.  I have found that actors with good, well trained voices sound good on almost any mic....they just are sometimes a bit better on one or another (in the few instances when there is time to try different mics) and with lavs exactly where you mount the mic and how many layers of what sort of fabric they are hidden under prob makes of a difference, often, than the mic choice. 

21 hours ago, chrismedr said:

that made me think, did anybody ever tell an actor which lavs (or other mics) make them sound best?

after all this would be very valuable info for them - I mean I'd say their voice is probably one of the most valuable assets to them. they know they know their shoe size etc to tell wardrobe, what if they could tell the sound department which mics tend to sound best for their voice.

chris

Most likely in one ear and out the other. They do like it when you say they have a good voice though. As long as it's about them they'll listen;~)

CrewC