Tascam HD-P2 - ok to use SD Card In Compact Flash Adpator?

Dave

Hi All,

I've been hanging on to my old Tascam HD-P2 recorder - still works well, sounds good and might be a good backup recorder in a pinch.

That said, I wonder if using an SD Card in a Compact Flash Adaptor would be advisable or risky?  The main reason being, I am using SD type cards in everything else and was hoping to keep things somewhat universal.

Thanks kindly for your thoughts.

Keep well,

Dave

16 minutes ago, Dave said:

advisable

no

16 minutes ago, Dave said:

risky? 

possibly.

if it's for no-budget type of shoots where you do people a favour just to be there, give it a try.

if you're getting paid, why not stick to the things that will cause the least trouble? ( a backup CF card surely can't be that inconvenient)

just my 2 cents

chris

Thanks Chris. Appreciate your comment and do very much agree about mission critical on the job situations. My inquiry is strictly as a general point of interest - curious to know about adapting cards from a functional and operational point of view.... just wondering about good and bad experiences with different card formats, card adaptors, what works, what doesn't etc.  in general. I'll try some adaptors in a non critical experiment and report the results.

Thanks again..... cheers.

Dave

There was some chatter years ago when SD cards started to become more available about using them in adapters in 7xx Sound Devices machines.

What I recall was that doing this was less reliable than using the correct (in that case CF) card.   If the Tascam isn't fussy about CF cards then I'd recommend

just having a couple for it (and only it) in the kit.  When you do decide to sell it they'll be a value add for the buyer.

Hi Philip,

Thanks for your kind help and tips - much appreciated. Good to know about the adapters not proving to be reliable in the 7 series machines. I'll assume that this would apply to the HD-P2 and will stick to the official Compact Flash as suggested.  I did have a previously well functioning  A-Data compact flash card suddenly go down and become unwritable & unreadable, used only in the HD-P2. I gather this happens to cards over time.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dave

Adapters are so cheap that it wouldn't cost anything to have one in your back up kit as an emergency. But keep a CF card in the Tascam at all times. 

But that way in an extreme emergency where you've had to resort to your back up recorder *AND* your CF media failed (or you've somehow ran out of space), at least then you've got yet another safety net to fall back on and you can grab any of your many SD cards and still carry on to save the day.