Playback rig

GJD

• 1 month later...

I'm a ProTools person after years of playback on various shows.  When discussing playback sessions with editorial and post, I am usually put in contact with the music supervisor.  If it's a complicated playback situation, I can have them build a nice session with clicks, thumps, music stems, TC as audio, etc. and have it sent directly to me.  When given a few minutes, I can build the same with a stereo music track.  It's such a versatile program that I find it essential.

As for interface, since my rig I/O is Dante, I have Dante Virtual Sound Card on my laptop.  I can assign as many tracks as I want to my console via Dante Controller.  Usually it's a mono mix/buss, click and thump, and sometimes TC.  Then I can feed it to whatever I need, earwigs/speakers or sub for thump.  Sounds complicated, but it really isn't when you start putting it together.

Hope that all made sense...

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Phil.

That makes perfect sense. I see that location playback rigs are simplistic overall - the intricacy lies in the tracks you are given my production to edit in (ideally) Protools.

You remind me of another question I've had - What's the advantage of Dante networking on location?

I'm familiar with Dante but only in a FOH, concert situation where it's relied on to maintain a clean signal over hundreds of feet of cable runs and a seamless back up (in redundant mode).

May I ask which console you use?

GD

if you had a recorder with dante,  and your wireless receiver rack had dante,  your interconnect between the two devices would be one cable (two with a redundant connection.  i’m halfway there - recorder yes, wireless no

On 3/12/2018 at 7:04 AM, GJD said:

Thank you Phil.

That makes perfect sense. I see that location playback rigs are simplistic overall - the intricacy lies in the tracks you are given my production to edit in (ideally) Protools.

You remind me of another question I've had - What's the advantage of Dante networking on location?

I'm familiar with Dante but only in a FOH, concert situation where it's relied on to maintain a clean signal over hundreds of feet of cable runs and a seamless back up (in redundant mode).

May I ask which console you use?

GD

Hello GD...sorry for the long delay in response.  I've been a bit slammed on a gig at present.

As for Dante on a production sound cart, it's a very elegant way to provide I/O between decks, console and computer.  My Dante rig consists of a Yamaha O1v with a Dante card, two Sound Devices PIX260's (audio only mode...), and a MacBook Pro for all things networking and playback.  I have the Dante network in Star Mode with everything plugged into a Gigabit switch.  The MacBook is running Dante Virtual Sound Card so the audio I/O of protools shows up on the Dante network, assignable to wherever I like.  I bring in as many outputs as I need into my console and route as necessary.  It's usually as easy as one or two tracks, but we can go as deep as you like.

All the best,

Phil