Has anyone used the TRX700's expander and Compressor settings? Sound quality?

Brian

Hey all, new to this blog so I hope you can help me

Looking at wireless boom options and I find myself not very happy with the quality that Lectrosonics is giving me.  As a boom Op I have used the first generation butt plug.  It was a wonderful piece of gear (when it was not plagued by RF) and other issues.  I was wondering if anyone hear is using it as there main transmitter (trx700) for the boom?  If so can you give me a description of your success or failures with it

Has anyone used the TRX700's expander and Compressor settings?  Sound quality? SD card?

Thanks in advance.

Brian Hanish

i have a trx700 and really like it. it sounds much better then the audio 2020/vdb bomb combo we were using before.

not yet had issues with range, but it doesnt always play nicely with the mic you may want to use it with. i have a sanken cs3e and neumann kmr81 than can pick up some rfi, though not all the time. my schoeps ccm41 has been great with it and i have also used a sennheiser 416, mkh 50 and mkh 60 with no problems.

being able to record on it is great, especially for wildtracks and wild lines where you may have to be out of range fro the cart

my biggest disappointment is the lack of remote control for it, so you cant send it timecode over ifb nor control the gain from the cart, but i haven asked if its possible to have the ifb board fitted.

when i first got my unit, i did have some QC issues which required a new unit being sent to me - unacceptably high noise floor, but the replacement unit has been great.

also search on here because Matthias Richter tried out a trx700 and couldnt get anything he was happy with and is now trying an arietec p48 adapter and trx900 combo

http://www.areitec.fr/AREITEC/Pico48/pico48.html

i also ended up having to get a loon boom (though any internally cabled pole would acheive the same thing) pole so i could have the trx700 at the base of the pole rather than the mic end - its quite a heavy unit, certainly compared to the lectro unit and 2020/vdb and it made the pole quite difficult to control on fast moves.

i get about 4-4.5 hours using some ansmann 2850 NiMh batteries - you probably will get the same on some lithiums too.

I've never looked at using the expander and compressor settings, mostly as thats something i think that should be added with the ability to undo it, i.e. in post. also, if you change your transmitter gain setting, you need to change the threshold setting on the dynamics as well to keep it sounding the same.

also remember that you need to get a matching receiver as well if you havent already.

if you havent already, have a look for the thread about the trx992 as another option.

hope that helps

rich

well the trx700 may not be particularly heavy (6.6oz or 187g without batteries), i may just be being a bit of a wuss.

i'm sure if you emailed arietec they will be able to ship one out to you, but that doesnt allow you to go to a store and play with one before buying it

Thanks Rich for all the info.  I just like to hear about people experience before I even consider a product.  I hear a lot about the loon, are you happy with it?  Do you have the basemate plus wing?  Looking for another way to do my work.

Thanks again for all that responded.

B

i like the loon a lot as well. i got the 18ft with the base mate and wing and internal curly cable specifically to use with the trx700. having the weight of the trx700 at my end of the pole is nice - it gives a little bit of a counterbalance - i missed it when i had a play with a trx992.

in use it is fine - obviously you have cable noise to avoid, but you wouldnt shake the pole during a take anyway (not yet tried running alongside actors though). i do prefer the stage clamps on the panamic, which i was using previously, but mostly cos they are bigger and easier to grip.