Different TASCAM HS-P82 Hardware Versions?

katiedawg

I've searched around on this forum, and searched across the web and I don't see anything about this, so I'm hoping Tom (or someone else in the know) will see this and chime in.

It appears that there are two hardware versions of the HS-P82.  Mine has the power switch beside the Slate button, but I'm seeing other units on both eBay (listed as brand new) and on some well-known retailer web sites with a button marked "LCD Tilt" in place of the power switch, and the power switch is on the side panel beside the power input jack.  There are other front panel differences, too - the Shift button is gone and has been replaced by a Locate button, among other changes I see.  TASCAM's site shows the one like mine (with the power switch beside the Slate button), and old posts about the recorder (when it was new and retailed for thousands more) show the version on TASCAM's web site (like my unit).

So does anyone know what's up with this?  If so, which one is the current production model?  Also, what else (if anything) was changed between the two units?  Any differences internally?

I'm about to buy a second one, so I'd really like to know.

TIA...

Posting a couple of links for observation - hope this is allowed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tascam-HS-P82-8-Channel-Field-Audio-Recorder-High-Resolution-HSP82-BRAND-NEW/391421659325?_trkparms=aid%3D888007%26algo%3DDISC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44039%26meid%3Df9e80ab178f74439ad484066316a2b2f%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D222805801396&_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&autorefresh=true

http://www.tascam.com/product/hs-p82/

Weird.... seems like B&H has the photos you're talking about.  I wonder if it's a mistake in that it's images from a prototype version before it was finally released?  I noticed on the top it seems (pretty blurry) it says "HD-P8" which if you google that, it refers to the rackmount version.

hdp8 image.png

Wow - Full Compass shows the same thing you posted.  Click on the first and fourth photo and your selection will appear underneath the row of four pics.  If you put your mouse over the picture that shows up at the bottom, it will auto-zoom waaaay in.  Yep, I see HD-P8 on those two shots.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/157578-Tascam-HS-P82

So what the heck is the difference?  Tom - any clues for the unwashed masses?

• 2 months later...

<belated>    Those are pictures of the prototype when it was called the HD-P8.

The LCD section was on a lever lock like the old Sony video tape decks, but that didn't work well at all orientations.   TASCAM kept that for the rack mount HS series, but the HS-P82 went to a stiffer friction hold.

I am no longer with TASCAM, I am currently with Apple in Los Angeles.

7 hours ago, Tom Duffy said:

I am no longer with TASCAM, I am currently with Apple in Los Angeles.

Wondering if Tascam still has someone else lurking these  forums on their behalf? 

As I've appreciated reading your replies to these threads in the past.