Zoom F1 recorder

IronFilm

Key Features:

• Two-channel audio recorder
  • Includes LMF-1 omnidirectional lavalier microphone
  • Lightweight and low-profile design—attaches to belts and waistbands, or fits inside pockets without being seen
  • Compatible with all Zoom microphone capsules
  • Supports up to 24-bit/96 kHz audio
  • Broadcast WAV format (BWF)—files are automatically time-stamped
  • 1.25" monochromatic LCD display can be read under bright light
  • Stereo 1/8" mic/line input jack with plug-in power (2.5V)
  • Stereo 1/8" phone/line output jack with dedicated volume control
  • Built-in limiter and auto level control to avoid clipping
  • Low-cut filter
  • Pre-Record function
  • Tone generator for calibrating audio levels between the F1 and a camera
  • Sound marker function outputs quick tone for syncing audio and video
  • Micro-USB port for data exchange to and from computer
  • Use as an audio interface to record directly to your computer or iOS device
  • Runs on two standard AAA alkaline, Lithium, or NiMH rechargeable batteries, or AD-17 AC adapter (available separately)
  • Up to 10 hours of operation with alkaline batteries (when using lavalier)
  • Includes windscreen, belt clip, mic clip

Available for US$199:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385361-REG/zoom_zf1lp_zoom_f1_field_recorder.html

Or for US$249 with shotgun module:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1385362-REG/zoom_zf1sp_f1_field_recorder_with.html

Manual and Quick Guide:

https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1.pdf
https://www.zoom.co.jp/sites/default/files/products/downloads/pdfs/E_F1_QuickGuide.pdf

I actually think its a cool little device and will serve well the markets it was designed for - BUT - really missed the boat by not offering some sort of automated recoding feature via HDMI or LANC, and its this type of feature that the budget / technical expertise / meticulousness -strapped indie single operator is in dire need of.

2 hours ago, Tom Visser said:

I actually think its a cool little device and will serve well the markets it was designed for

Yes. Especially as they advertise it with a shotgun. Are they maybe targeting the Rode VideoMic Pro market first and the bodypack recorder market second?

I imagine tonnes of wedding videographers / vloggers / students / etc will buy this up by the truckload. Although I think the Tascam DR10L / DR10CS is a better buy (if only they'd given basic TC as an option, even if it meant boosting the price a little. Then it would have provided a big reason to go for an F1 instead), as the Tascam has frequently been on sale lately. 

Anyone, still is a product worth being aware of and to keep on your radar. Should you ever need a small recorder to put in harm's way, and if the budget can't stretch to a PDR or ZFR100 .

16 hours ago, mark kirchner said:

[]recorder with both audio input and audio output. I wonder if this will help Lectrosonics?

Audio I/P AND O/P, quite helpful for the user at least - whatever the size. Even now some recorders still don't have HP O/Ps?

Edge/side display and/or smart phone display/control (like tentacle).

Dual mono (audio bracketing).

Phantom power (still amazed after all these years and how many recordings have been made with just 1 decent mic why there is only 1 product on the market that is plug-on recorder - and its not very good). If Zoom's proprietary multipin connector could deliver phantom power it would more useful.

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

What would really help many of us, would be if it also had TC...

I agree Constantin, time code is vital.

The Zoom F1 reminded me of the unfolding saga of the Tascam DR-10C and the Lectrosonics PDR. My comment attempted

(from memory) to quote LarryF when discussing the new PDR. Here is his quote, "A recorder with time code is a recorder with time code is a recorder with time code. With apologies to Gertrude Stein." For our members that are not following this story, my references might be too oblique, my apologies.

This might be a clue why the Zoom F1 does not offer time code, but also their target market and price point are factors to.

Mark

1 hour ago, mark kirchner said:

my references might be too oblique, my apologies.

This might be a clue why the Zoom F1 does not offer time code, but also their target market and price point are factors to.

Mark

I think that is exactly the reason why there is no TC. I mean the oblique references not the target market.

1 hour ago, mark kirchner said:

I agree Constantin, time code is vital.

The Zoom F1 reminded me of the unfolding saga of the Tascam DR-10C and the Lectrosonics PDR. My comment attempted

(from memory) to quote LarryF when discussing the new PDR. Here is his quote, "A recorder with time code is a recorder with time code is a recorder with time code. With apologies to Gertrude Stein." For our members that are not following this story, my references might be too oblique, my apologies.

Mark

Mark, I totally got what you meant and got a chuckle out of it. I also got a chuckle out of all the here we go agains, because as soon as I saw the title, I thought "Here we go again". 

Sincerely, Martin

32 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Mark, I totally got what you meant and got a chuckle out of it. I also got a chuckle out of all the here we go agains, because as soon as I saw the title, I thought "Here we go again". 

Sincerely, Martin

Hi Martin,

We will just have to see how this all plays out.

Mark