BLK 24

Tom Maloney

I am sure I saw this discussed before here, I just can’t seem to find it now.

being loaded in BLK 24 as others I am just curious what others are doing about it.

seems to me there are three options.

Pay for a block change

Do the trade in option

Or try to sell overseas.

I look at the chart Lectrosonics has put out from the FCC and if I am reading it right, it seems that parts of blk 21 , 22 is going to be safe in a lot of areas across the country? I also see LA. will have only 4 channels ?

It is  really irritating, already been thru the blk 27 mess.

Don’t even understand why the FCC has gotten so involved in this. ( really I understand $$ ) They should be spending time and money in getting the missile early warning system in Hawaii working correctly.

I'm curious how many people are having any luck selling their block 24/25/26 stuff. Used market seems completely flooded. Selling overseas can be a hassle.

I did the math and for the cost of all the block changes I could probably just buy new wideband gear assuming I could also sell my current crop but that's the big if. 

8 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

Most people have US addresses and they take care of all of the customs stuff. 

Yup, I'm in New Zealand and I use a reshipper based in the USA for most of my purchases (I also have a reshipper address for Europe too). 

As unfortunately the shipping most people charge to send to New Zealand is crazy outrageous!! (plus some people won't even ship to NZ, at any price)

But thanks to using reshippers none of that is a big problem for me any longer :-)

8 hours ago, ryanpeds said:

I have noticed that most block 24-26 stuff is selling now for less than other blocks.

Except for 27/28/29 which sells for even less.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

As unfortunately the shipping most people charge to send to New Zealand is crazy outrageous!! (plus some people won't even ship to NZ, at any price)

Yeah dont get it. If buyer pays for everything, whats the problem? I know that shipping to some destinations is outrageous, but I'd guess that if you live in some far off land that had no pro audio store, and you buy an old 200 series set of 600 mHz Lectros for a deal, even high shipping will still be a deal compared with trying to get a new model of anything in your corner of the world. 

I also sold quickly when I heard about the coming changes.  So I got some decent prices for my gear; four 411/um combos in 24/26 and some extra transmitters in 24.  I did reblock one um trans and kept it for an IFB feed.  I would say now its probably hit or miss with selling vs. re-blocking since the cost has gone up significantly for that service.  Everything I own now is in A1(470-20)  and 21.

Good luck!

On 1/26/2018 at 7:42 PM, JonG said:

Yeah dont get it. If buyer pays for everything, whats the problem? I know that shipping to some destinations is outrageous, but I'd guess that if you live in some far off land that had no pro audio store, and you buy an old 200 series set of 600 mHz Lectros for a deal, even high shipping will still be a deal compared with trying to get a new model of anything in your corner of the world. 

Oh we do have have an excellent pro audio store here in NZ (Sound Techniques), and I've used them for some things (got my Ultrasync ONE / :wave from there) and for rentals. But getting say Lectro SRc / SMQV is a little outside my budget right now, but 200 series fit perfectly. So picked up a few on eBay (plus 600MHz is still legal in NZ). 

On 1/26/2018 at 7:38 PM, Eric Toline said:

Who is your US reshipper please?

Ah, it is just for my country as is run by NZ Post. But if you just do a search in Google for "reshipper" you can see lots of options. 

On 1/28/2018 at 3:59 PM, Derek H said:

Once I looked into selling something to someone in Brazil and it was a fair bit more involved. 

Some countries (such as Brazil) have truly horrific levels of taxes/customs fees when importing equipment! 

But this isn't an issue for the seller, as it is something the purchaser needs to be aware of and is their responsibility to sort out when it arrives in their country.   

• 2 weeks later...

I actually chose to sell here in the US. Most of my 24s ended up going to someone just out of school on the west coast, looking to build a small pro level kit quick to start getting jobs and then upgrade over the next year or so. So the block wasn't as much of a concern to him. Ended up selling at about 10% off MSRP, but still much easier than dealing with international sale or reblocking. And yes, market is hugely saturated, I've been hard pressed to see anything on consignment that doesn't fall in the 'danger zone'.

On 25/01/2018 at 12:11 PM, Eric Toline said:

I know mixers here in the states who are still using Blocks 27, 28, & 29 and are not having any issues.

I've heard the same thing. I still keep a couple 27s. I hardly ever use them (about once a year), and I wouldn't use them in the city, but I've done some very remote things in MI & WI with them and didn't have any issues.