Mics on women

newzhack

I just finished a reality shoot with 5 women non professional 3 were teens and they had issues putting/taping mics between their breasts.

I tried to let them do it theirselves with limited luck.

I am using Sanken lavs with hush foam and they work great if in the right place.

I was thinking about something that would clip to the bra strap, I see some options. What works?

This usually isn’t a problem until last week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the only obvious thing I can think of is going on the clothes instead, but that's not always going to fly depending on what they are wearing.  I'm sure you've considered that option already.   I find the bra strap is typically too low in the front to sound good.  Tough one.  Other than that I sometimes get a hand from makeup or wardrobe (if there are any of those folks on set), as they are often women.  You can train them up and the talent might be happier with a woman doing the job.  

I've had great success with the hide a mic bra holder on non actors, it's real simple and there's never any miscommunication I find... it's turned into a staple in my kit for docs 

https://www.hideamic.com/product-page/bra-holder-black-cos11

Past that, perhaps something like a rycote stickie would be easier for them to just "stick" on the skin. There's less room for error - a non actor wont know exactly how a piece of moleskin or transpore should be applied without specific direction.

Yeah try Stickies and overcovers. 

Dave, you don’t have any issues with the hide a mic clip coming off? Either falling off the bra or the Sanken falling out of the holder. I have a set but I’m not super confident in them yet. Also when certain fabrics touch the holder the noise is very sharp sometimes. 

I have mixed feelings on the hide a mic bra holders. I’ve used them a bunch and I find that the mic doesn’t usually come out if placed firmly into the holder. I have had it come off the bra however. That is the bigger issue. The clips are also susceptible to bending too much to the point where they are almost broken. If placed gently on the bra in the right spot it shouldn’t come off if the person isn’t doing anything super physical. I have found that they are ideal for people that don’t have any experience putting a mic on themselves. It’s hard to not get it in the right spot. If it seems to come off I will have them put a piece of tape at the bottom to help hold it to the bra or their skin. 

Overall they are great to have in the kit. 

Hey Ryan Peds, have you ever heard of hide-a-mic microphone concealers? They are really great for when you're using a COS-11 mic. They they come with a hook or a holder you can attach to a bra. They run you about 16 dollars US on eBay or Amazon. Here's a video I found on YouTube video for you to check out. Good luck on your next shoot! 

10 hours ago, Derek H said:

Yeah try Stickies and overcovers. 

Dave, you don’t have any issues with the hide a mic clip coming off? Either falling off the bra or the Sanken falling out of the holder. I have a set but I’m not super confident in them yet. Also when certain fabrics touch the holder the noise is very sharp sometimes. 

Yea that has happened. To remedy that I just attach a small piece of moleskin around the bottom of the bra holder to the cos11 locking it down.

I've also had better success using it with the mount on the inside of the bra strap (facing the body), as opposed to just facing outwards. 

thanks for the hide a mic tip.  hadn't seen that product yet.  Like the idea of what he's trying to streamline, and everything is worth a go since every single outfit/situation is different.  Saving 30 seconds of prep on a lav is always a bonus.  I certainly like the tie option, and it would keep the snot tape of the mic capsule.   As mentioned, I'm sure a little square of mole skin or snot tape would secure the holder to the capsule just fine.   

20 hours ago, Constantin said:

The new DPA concealer also has a clip that’s ideal for bra straps and it holds much better than the hide-a-mic. Of course, it’s only for a DPA mic

This is what I mainly use the DPA slim councillors for nut if the bar has a narrow bra strap it doesn't hold very well.

For Coss-11's I've used the Ext clips (HC-11) and bent the mic holder part 90 degrees so as the mic faces upwards. It does stick a fair way out though. It is fairly easy for talent to place themselves but like everything doesn't work for all situations.

On January 27, 2018 at 8:09 AM, Dave Pullmer said:

Yea that has happened. To remedy that I just attach a small piece of moleskin around the bottom of the bra holder to the cos11 locking it down.

I've also had better success using it with the mount on the inside of the bra strap (facing the body), as opposed to just facing outwards. 

I'm with you Dave.  I have the person place the holder between the bra strap and the body with the clip facing out.  I find it shows less and is more secure so you get less movement noise.