MattRitt

Using Scissor Clamps to Hang Mics

I have been thinking about buying some drop ceiling scissor clamps to hang mics from the roof.  

Anyone have some success with these or another good way to hang microphones from a ceiling in a pinch?

I have been thinking about buying some drop ceiling scissor clamps to hang mics from the roof.  

Anyone have some success with these or another good way to hang microphones from a ceiling in a pinch?
Mini cardellini

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

My concern would be whether or not you have some sort of isolation to keep structure-born noise from getting into the mics. Suspension mounts?

Regards,

Ty Ford

The correct answer to the original question is, " You use whatever works."

Scissor clips, Pony clamps, Cardellinis, wires, strings, portable stands, Joe's Sticky Stuff, etc., etc... all have a place in a plant mic arsenal.

And, yes, as Ty said, a good suspension mount often completes the rig.

https://www.gothamsound.com/product/fleximount

Best 50 bucks I've ever spent, have 5 now and they're probably one of the most used things in my kit. Great for putting a mic just about anywhere and suspension mount pops right on no problems, because yeah, again as Ty said, it always needs some sort of isolation. 

Other than that I've got some Cardellinis, Pony clamps, desktop stands, kick drum stands, etc. just get some options in your kit and be creative and do what works.

Thanks for the tips.  

I’ll probably pick up the mini cardellini and a couple more pony clamps in addition to the scissor clamps.

I actually use the fleximount for my antennas but never thought to use if to hang mics, which in hindsight seems embarrassingly obvious…   The fact that I can attach my shock mounts to it directly is nice too.