Zaxcom TRXCL3

Ze Frias

7 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

I wonder if it's possible to get stereo transmission with ZHD modulation? (Or rather 2 x mono I suppose). And presumably that would mean mono only reception with a RX200 if using ZHD?

ZHD will only be available as a single channel of audio. If you wish to have two channels of audio you will need to use the "Stereo" modulation scheme.

1 hour ago, PalmerT said:

I wonder if there is any possibility to upgrade single block CL's to WB... 

As you probably can already imagine, not possible unfortunately. Very different guts.

Kinda bs they don’t want to reblock an older CL900... 

I don’t see a boh enough advantage to warrant replacing the current camera link if the only features it adds are ZHD modulation which is Mono and Wideband (which would be great but id rather have a TRX743 and IFB200 combo so it’s more versatile.)

Re-blocking older camera links is not cost effective as there are large filters that can not be unsoldered without a lot of time time and effort that would not be cost effective for the customer. The new wide band camera link has a much lower noise transmitter output that is the same as the one we use in our current series of wide band wireless transmitter that eliminates the need for the large filters.

Glenn

9 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

Don’t get me wrong I love my Camera Link. But to have a $4K Mono Hop system (CL3 and RX200) is pretty steep and not very versatile. When the other Cheaper option would be just to use an IFB200 and ERX to essientally accomplish the same and would still be more versatile...

Kyle, Probably the great majority of the stuff we work on, the Zaxnet transmit function, i.e. Zaxnet from Nomad, IFB 100, IFB 200, or a Qifb,  is all that is needed, and of course what camera op doesn't like one small lightweight ERX box doing timecode and scratch audio, but, I think this is more utilized, for those mixers who would otherwise have to run XLR cables to a camera for isolated tracks, I don't like doing that, for multiple reasons, but there are those that require that. There ought to be a law that you get paid $100 extra to use this setup and even then it's going to take you about 40 days just to break even. But of course, production world doesn't work like this. Yes, it's really a lot of money, but the alternative, that I see, is XLR cables from your mixer.

Sincerely, Martin 

26 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Kyle, Probably the great majority of the stuff we work on, the Zaxnet transmit function, i.e. Zaxnet from Nomad, IFB 100, IFB 200, or a Qifb,  is all that is needed, and of course what camera op doesn't like one small lightweight ERX box doing timecode and scratch audio, but, I think this is more utilized, for those mixers who would otherwise have to run XLR cables to a camera for isolated tracks, I don't like doing that, for multiple reasons, but there are those that require that. There ought to be a law that you get paid $100 extra to use this setup and even then it's going to take you about 40 days just to break even. But of course, production world doesn't work like this. Yes, it's really a lot of money, but the alternative, that I see, is XLR cables from your mixer.

Sincerely, Martin 

I agree with everything you’ve said. My point being about versiltility. That having a Camera Link with the added feature of ZHD transmission doesn’t offer that much of an advantage for the price point.

When talking about vestility in my previous statement. I went with the IFB200/TRX743 combo. Reasoning being that the IFB200 offers the same 2 track Recorder and Zaxnet TX that the CL900/CL3 offers.

Also the ERX has 3v TC output and the RX200 only has 1.5v TC output... plus the ERX has an adjustable audio level output. And the RX200 offers selectable audio level output.

3 minutes ago, KGraham045 said:

I agree with everything you’ve said. My point being that having a Camera Link with the added feature of ZHD transmission doesn’t offer that much of an advantage for the price point.

When talking about vestility in my previous statemenet. I went with the IFB200/TRX743 combo. Reasoning being that the IFB200 offers the same 2 track Recorder and Zaxnet TX that the CL900/CL3 offers.

Kyle, There are certainly several ways to use Zaxcom that I'm not aware of because it does so much. But, can you tell me what the IFB200/TRX743 combo does? Are we still on Zaxnet to camera vs. 2 XLR cables to camera, vs. 2 UHF channels to camera? 

Thank you, Martin

The IFB200 would still offer Zaxnet and Mono Audio (although not UHF) plus TC to Camera (with the use of an ERXTCD).

But the TRX743 (with Stereo cone) as a UHF Transmitter would then offer Wideband transmission, 2 Track recording and all of the modulations being offered by the CL3 (Mono, Stereo, XR, ZHD) including TC to reciever... 

The only advantage being that the CL3/CL900 is powered off of BDS. But the advantage of the TRX743 that it can also be used as a Wireless Boom/Talent Transmitter with P48 when a stereo hop isn’t needed.

(Also, with a mod from Audio dept. I believe a TRX743 can be powered off BDS.)

I often go that route as well. As I have a CL900 (actually have 2 at the moment) and 3 RX200s for Hops. So it’s honestly easier for me to go that route than to throw an ERX on camera. 

My my point is that the CL3 isn’t offering much in terms of versitility/ features that another more cost-effective Zaxcom combo/solution can offer.

KGraham, any issues with RF interference using the 743 in the bag? It lacks the bandpass filter that the CL has. Though you could add the FDP antenna they used to make. 

Which brings up another question maybe Glenn could answer, does the CL3 have a filter built in to avoid interference on your bag receivers? If so how wide? Does it track? Etc. 

I don’t use the TRX743 in my bag. As I do use the CL900. But do own 2 TRX743. But I do have a FDP and would use it on the 743 if I used it in my bag.

Both the Camera Link and the TRX 743 are 2 of my favorite pieces of Zax gear.

I would just rather have another TRX743 in my kit rather than a wide band Camera Link.

As the Wideband Camera Link accomplishes very little in terms of functionality and versitility that new products usually offer...

• 3 months later...

There are so many cool tools from Zax it is hard to make a decision on how to do it... I honestly have been battling with the RX200 vs using a QRX235 w CL and additional stereo transmitter to send 3-4 channels of audio to camera to make posts workflow easier and make me a few extra bucks (assuming you only use 3-4 talent at a time like in my case) . 

Anyone else doing this or can think of a reason not to do it? Cuz the RX200 would be easier. haha. 

Thanks. 

Nate 

Depends on what your wanting to do. Are you talking about QRX235 with IFB option? Vs an RX200??

QRX235

Cons

Needs External Power

Only Covers 1 block

Pros

Has IFB

Can do 4 channels from 2 TX.

RX200

Cons

No IFB

Can do 2 Channels from 1 TX

Pros

Can be Internally Powered

Covers Blk 20-26

On 1/31/2018 at 7:31 AM, KGraham045 said:

I don’t use the TRX743 in my bag. As I do use the CL900. But do own 2 TRX743. But I do have a FDP and would use it on the 743 if I used it in my bag.

Both the Camera Link and the TRX 743 are 2 of my favorite pieces of Zax gear.

I would just rather have another TRX743 in my kit rather than a wide band Camera Link.

As the Wideband Camera Link accomplishes very little in terms of functionality and versitility that new products usually offer...

What additional functionality are you looking for from a camera hop transmitter?  Full quality audio, timecode, camera return or zaxnet, recording, wideband.  As far as a camera hop goes, this unit seems to have it all.

If I needed wireless full quality audio on camera, this is how I'd be doing it.  The vast majority of my work is dual system, or occasionally hard wired to camera, so it's not high in my current priority list.

I keep TRX900AA for the modular ability to have a stereo Line level Transmitter. It’d be cool to be able to pull the CL out of my bag, pop in some batteries and select either analog or digital and plug in to a board. Rather than have a TRX900, Stereo Analog adapter, Stereo Digital adapter. Etc...