Zaxcom Automix with constant boom

mojofunkster

31 minutes ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Mojo, I agree with Kyle. The only way I would have boom going to automix is if I had, say 4 booms sitting over the Beatles sitting in 4 chairs on a stage, with no lavs. Why are you thinking mixing boom with lav? What are you trying to accomplish?

Thank you, Martin

To scoop up some lines from someone who's not lav'd or add some 'atmos' to complement the lavs?

Kyle, in experimenting with Dugan automix (633) I've used the main mix bus for the automix only and then sent this and the boom to the Aux (in varying degrees).

Does automix behave in the same way whatever the ratio of boom to lavs? And however the boom and lavs are panned?

13 minutes ago, daniel said:

To scoop up some lines from someone who's not lav'd or add some 'atmos' to complement the lavs?

Kyle, in experimenting with Dugan automix (633) I've used the main mix bus for the automix only and then sent this and the boom to the Aux (in varying degrees).

Does automix behave in the same way whatever the ratio of boom to lavs? And however the boom and lavs are panned?

Daniel, I understand why you're recording the boom, but my question is why are you recording the boom to the Automix track, I can't see how that would be of quality.

Sincerely, Martin

13 hours ago, MartinTheMixer said:

Daniel, I understand why you're recording the boom, but my question is why are you recording the boom to the Automix track, I can't see how that would be of quality.

Sincerely, Martin

Not routing boom to AM (myself). I've routed the AM to an Aux track along with some 'atmos' boom (post low level fade). Partly to audition how this would sound, if something similar gets done in post. Outcome is editor still gets dry automix on main LR, but has an option to use something less dry - ie boom faded in so ambient sound matches the noise floor of AM. The difference is pretty subtle (depending what's going on), phasing not an issue. Everything iso'd. 

1 minute ago, daniel said:

Not routing boom to AM (myself). I've routed the AM to an Aux track along with some 'atmos' boom (post low level fade). Partly to audition how this would sound, if something similar gets done in post. Outcome is editor still gets dry automix on main LR, but has an option to use something less dry - ie boom faded in so ambient sound matches the noise floor of AM. The difference is pretty subtle (depending what's going on), phasing not an issue. Everything iso'd. 

Daniel, I understand, I meant that more for the original poster, not you.

Thank you, Martin

2 hours ago, mojofunkster said:

Martin,

I was trying to do what Daniel said, sorry for the bad description of what I was trying to do.

The limitations of only using the main mix bus for the AM is you have to use the Aux O/Ps for camera send with boom.