Twittering Soundies?

thebrengun

Is this more talking rather than doing? I say this at the risk of being another BOF.

Don't really get Facebook either. What's wrong with the telephone, or email or txt?

I know it's supposed to be another enabling medium but I can't help feeling that there's mire and more medium (media) and less content, as an excuse for shabby content.

If the tweeters want to tweet, thats great. RAMPS has enough random content for me as it is

• 2 weeks later...

It's funny how most of the posts are on one side or the other.  Hate it or love it, social networking has it's benefits and it's drawbacks.  My mother just married a week ago to an old fling in high school, and they were reunited through facebook...weird, but it's true.  The flip-side is my friend Ben.  He has used twitter to help his event promotions, and is so caught up in "tweeting", that he is annoying to hang out with most of the time.  there is never any eye contact, because he's always tilting his head down and staring into his blackberry while you're trying to have a conversation with him.  I try to stay somewhere in the middle...

Just realizing this could be a new look for modern-day zombies.  it's the head tilted down at a 45 degree angle with the under-lighting from an iphone.  I'm going to get to practicing...

http://www.twitter.com/christofleeze

::chris welcker::

• 4 weeks later...

Facebook.com/LASoundMixer

Twitter.com/LASoundMixer

I use Facebook ALOT more than Twitter. It started out as a way to keep in touch with my family, who all lives out of state, and to keep in touch with all those cool people I meet on set. You get to know people pretty well after you spend a few 60-72 hour weeks with them and I like to see a sentence or 2 from them to see what they are up to. Calling every person on the phone is just not a good use time (for me or them). 

Me: "Hey! How are you?"

Them: "I'm great what are you up to?"

Me: "Not much. What about you?"

Them: "Not much here either!"

Me: "Cool!"

Them "Cool!"

(Crickets)

With Facebook, you can skip this annoying scenario and get right to the core of the conversation, see pics and not lose any of the nuance.

Last week I casually updated my status on facebook saying that I was shooting on the 3rd street promenade in Santa Monica. Just from that posting I got set visits from 6 people I consider to be good friends and colleagues. 2 sound people, 2 actors and 2 producers! The most common I heard that morning was, "I saw your Facebook post and..."

Facebook doesn't take over your life or give you something else to look after. (That's what Mafia Wars is for!!) It gives you a way to experience and express humor and life with your friends and colleagues.

Cheers,

Chris