Jump to content
Mobilemike

Rycote Mic Protector case

Recommended Posts

I realize that Rycote and K-tek need to make money where they can on peripheries, but so many of these things can be made better and cheaper with a little DIY...these cost about $4 each to make, for example (shockproof, waterproof, customized size):

 

IMG_20180206_112619151.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your cases look like the ones I made. They work fine, but the Rycote case looks pretty good and lists for £29.95, which doesn't seem so bad if the (rather significant) space savings matter, you want to keep a few mics nearby, etc. So "better" depends, I guess. Thanks for the link Mike. Here's Rycote's :45 promo video:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, I was wondering about price. thanks Jim!

 

I've made a few PVC cases like that too and while they work fine and are very protective, like Jim said they are heavy and bulky and carrying multiple mics takes up a lot of space quickly. They also look like pipe bombs which is sometimes a little startling for people...

 

Anyway i think having the Rycote option for lighter duty where you don't need quite as much shock protection (95% of what I do) will be awesome. 

 

-Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thenannymoh said:

I realize that Rycote and K-tek need to make money where they can on peripheries, but so many of these things can be made better and cheaper with a little DIY...these cost about $4 each to make, for example (shockproof, waterproof, customized size):

 

IMG_20180206_112619151.jpg

 

Very good points. Truth be told, we only started this project because we needed cases ourselves for the demo mics we take to trade shows.

 

Cheers,

Simon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Simon Davies said:

 

Very good points. Truth be told, we only started this project because we needed cases ourselves for the demo mics we take to trade shows.

 

Cheers,

Simon

 

I did neglect to say that the twist-style tubes for the mics look pretty cool..they are more compact than mine, and fit better in cart drawers. I can be clutzy, so I gravitate to gear that can take a beating lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those look pretty solid for hardcore transportation needs, but I always find that these storage solutions ignore your foam windscreens which get trashed quite easily.  I like to use a simple heavy cardboard mailing tube that fits snugly around the mic with windscreen.  They work quite nicely for everyday use, come in a variety of sizes and cost next to nothing to replace. 

 

I do love a DIY solution--fly fishing rod storage tubes are great for boompoles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, thenannymoh said:

 

I did neglect to say that the twist-style tubes for the mics look pretty cool..they are more compact than mine, and fit better in cart drawers. I can be clutzy, so I gravitate to gear that can take a beating lol

 

We’re offering the plastic tubes in a pack of 3, to be sold on their own too. These tubes come with loads of foam inners to allow different mic lengths. Not sure of the US list, but they’ll be £13.00 for the pack of 3.

18 hours ago, KGraham045 said:

I wonder if Rycote will release a storage/transportation solution for the WS.

 

Rigid case options for both the Modular & Softies are something we’re looking at. The Mic Protector case structure would work, it’s just whether the handle or boom adaptors stay outside of the case or not. All suggestions warmly welcomed...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Simon Davies said:

 

We’re offering the plastic tubes in a pack of 3, to be sold on their own too. These tubes come with loads of foam inners to allow different mic lengths. Not sure of the US list, but they’ll be £13.00 for the pack of 3.

 

Rigid case options for both the Modular & Softies are something we’re looking at. The Mic Protector case structure would work, it’s just whether the handle or boom adaptors stay outside of the case or not. All suggestions warmly welcomed...

Maybe a low profile handle/boom adapter or means of attaching an easily removable element would help the more fragile parts of a mic rig fit in a tube or similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to have a Backpack like case to carry my WS4, WS4 Extension, A&E Kit and WS3. Don’t need all 4 but would be nice to carry around 2 at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not much to add having one in the flesh (the 200mm version). Very solid/tough/rigid overall tube/case. Handy for including different capsules in the smaller tubes with the mics (here, just by way of an example is an NT55 with its other capsule too). The smaller tubes are a very tight fit in the overall case.

 

Cheers,

 

Roland

_RHD4263.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/7/2018 at 8:37 AM, Simon Davies said:

...

Rigid case options for both the Modular & Softies are something we’re looking at. The Mic Protector case structure would work, it’s just whether the handle or boom adaptors stay outside of the case or not. All suggestions warmly welcomed...

 

You might be able to have a slot in the case that would allow it to work either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6.2.2018 at 5:34 PM, thenannymoh said:

I realize that Rycote and K-tek need to make money where they can on peripheries, but so many of these things can be made better and cheaper with a little DIY...these cost about $4 each to make, for example (shockproof, waterproof, customized size):

 

IMG_20180206_112619151.jpg

 

But you need three tubes to hold three mics. The Rycote tubes hold three mics each. So it’s a great space saver

On 7.2.2018 at 2:37 PM, Simon Davies said:

Rigid case options for both the Modular & Softies are something we’re looking at. The Mic Protector case structure would work, it’s just whether the handle or boom adaptors stay outside of the case or not. All suggestions warmly welcomed...

 

I would definitely prefer everything inside the case. If something should hit the handle on the outside I could only imagine it to have a pretty detrimental effect on what’s inside. 

If I may mention the other company: Cinela windscreen cases are pretty perfect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, John Blankenship said:

 

You might be able to have a slot in the case that would allow it to work either way.

 

Yep, I've kept hold of as many of my original Rycote boxes as I could and in one, the AC, I cut a hole for the handle (which an extra internal bit of card can cover if I want to). Whilst I also experimented around having wide tubes for carrying windshields around, at the end of the day the cardboard box it came in does a fine job of protecting it in a bag. My WS2s and my WS4 I carry around in a Hofbauer plastic case - one of the cheap ones which unfortunately were replaced - which just happened to be perfect for the job (I've written about this elsewhere with more details a few months ago if anyone needed more info).

 

Jez

Oh and PS - re the new Rycote cylindrical bags the tubes are held in - I wouldn't mind using one as a belt holster for say a single MKH40 with Baseball (with some internal foam part way up then a space at the top to include the extra width) ... assuming the bag is wide enough for the Baseball. Simon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2018 at 8:08 PM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Jez

Oh and PS - re the new Rycote cylindrical bags the tubes are held in - I wouldn't mind using one as a belt holster for say a single MKH40 with Baseball (with some internal foam part way up then a space at the top to include the extra width) ... assuming the bag is wide enough for the Baseball. Simon?

 

Yes, the protector cases are a perfect "snug" fit for the Baseball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I "borrowed" one of these yoga mat bags (~$20) from my wife to use when I only need light protection for a blimp kit.

 

ZENWTE10110BL_1.jpg

Lots of room and pockets to hold a WS6 kit loaded with a KMR82, small boom pole, batteries, adapters, etc. 

 

I keep it folded in my Pelican with whatever blimp kit I am carrying so that is immediately available for a hiking day or when I need to move quickly and don't require the full pelican for protection.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have seen people use concrete forming tubes to protect the Rycote windshield inside a Pelican case. You cut the cardboard tube to size and then you need to cut a little notch out of one side (Bottom/top -- who can tell in a circle?) so the handle can slide in. The handle/pistol grip does not go inside the tube. It gets folded on the outside.

These types of tubes:

\https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/categories/building-materials/concrete-cement-and-masonry/concrete-materials-tools-and-accessories/concrete-forming-products.html

 

I have not used it myself, but have seen it used. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The plastic tubes Rycote are selling as part of this kit aren't something they've designed and manufactured for themselves.  They're fairly standard screwpack postal tubes, I've had bicycle components arrive in some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simon, cheers, good to know. Ron Mac, interesting looking shoulder holster. I have a couple of the discontinued Zeppelin belt holsters  for 416/816 which was made by Canford Audio as part of their belt harness system (hey in perhaps the 80s - maybe 90s). Never sure why they stopped - like soft drink chemists, I never take both of them away with me on a job, since I'm certain - as a flat cap wearer - I'm sure to lose one of them eventually. Rycote of all people might well be interested in resurrecting the idea? But I like the option of a shoulder sling. For my occasional 805 use I rigged the Canford holster to a Kata 3N1 20 which works perfectly.

 

Jez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 1:32 AM, The Immoral Mr Teas said:

Simon, cheers, good to know. Ron Mac, interesting looking shoulder holster. I have a couple of the discontinued Zeppelin belt holsters  for 416/816 which was made by Canford Audio as part of their belt harness system (hey in perhaps the 80s - maybe 90s). Never sure why they stopped - like soft drink chemists, I never take both of them away with me on a job, since I'm certain - as a flat cap wearer - I'm sure to lose one of them eventually. Rycote of all people might well be interested in resurrecting the idea? But I like the option of a shoulder sling. For my occasional 805 use I rigged the Canford holster to a Kata 3N1 20 which works perfectly.

 

Jez

 

Jez, do you have any snaps of the Canford system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2018-02-12 at 10:08 PM, Eric said:

I have seen people use concrete forming tubes to protect the Rycote windshield inside a Pelican case. You cut the cardboard tube to size and then you need to cut a little notch out of one side (Bottom/top -- who can tell in a circle?) so the handle can slide in. The handle/pistol grip does not go inside the tube. It gets folded on the outside.

These types of tubes:

\https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/categories/building-materials/concrete-cement-and-masonry/concrete-materials-tools-and-accessories/concrete-forming-products.html

 

I have not used it myself, but have seen it used. 

Sonotube!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×