NFL Boom ops

SeanMAC

Hey y'all! Idaho sound mixer here. I wanted to see if anyone on here has ever been, or knows anything about being the sideline boom ops during NFL games. What are your assignments, how do you deliver/send files/audio, any insight you can give would be fantastic. Being from Idaho, I would never even see a posting about the job, let alone take one. Thanks!

Yeah... been there done that... just for fun...

As Jon says...  wireless to camera...I used a 302... 16' Boom pole,  Cmit5... Light!!! Wasn't worried about damage...worked fine..

Before game warm ups.... 

During game boom the bench and coach player interactions after offense or defense comes off the field.

Post game locker room... After game Coach and player interviews, Press bridge... boom 

It was fun, pay was not anything to write home about, people were nice...  the players, well, they were players...

I do at least one a year. The team I work for just wants me to transmit to their camera and thats it, so I just keep an MM-1 on my belt with their SMQV. Just follow their camera guy around and get what he needs. It's hard work but if I don't have anything going on that week when they're in town, then it's a welcome gig. 

The first year I used a 416 but found that it was kind of useless, so the next year I used an mkh70 and it was the perfect tool to get what was necessary, although quite heavy. NFL films uses a cmit5u but I prefer to use more robust mics in case of damage. 

Used to be, it was just us NFL Films guys. Now the team may have a guy, and sometimes the network will have a guy. The team generally doesn't like it one bit. You probably won't be booming on the sideline unless you're working for one of those 3 groups. There's a very select group of Films guys that do that job. The NFL has regulations on where we can stand and when. I also expect NFL/teams to get rid of all the booms except those of NFL Films guys. It's getting a little much.

Hey thanks so much for all the information! I gained curiosity about it when I started seeing more and more booms on the sideline. Anyone from NFL Films have any stories to share about how NFL Mic'd up is done? I read that mics are hidden inside the centers shoulderpad? Any info on the models and technique? Super interested in anything you guys have to share. Thanks y'all!