Working on a short film budget for August

Henchman

With shorts it varies so much

Is it funded or not?

Think of a low daily rate and cheap gear package

Offer that and then enter into negotiation advising the value of the equipment

Also are they nice people, is it an attractive script and will they have  1st AD who has

well planned days or will it turn into Sxxt fight that drags on for 15 hours???

Good luck

mike

Yes, it's funded.

None of that "I'll give you a credit, and points on the tail end" nonsense.

This will be a very disciplined, planned out shoot, with proper shot-lists, that I'll be going over with the DP before the day of filming.

No "Figure it out as we go along".

52 minutes ago, mikewest said:

Ok

As they are funded ask what their sound budget is and negociate from there

I always indicate the value of equipment to be supplied and that I will do a job

that will save them money in post production

Good luck

mike

I don't have to ask them.

It's me.

I'm the one making the short, so I need to know what it's going to cost to hire someone. :)

30 minutes ago, Henchman said:

I don't have to ask them.

It's me.

I'm the one making the short, so I need to know what it's going to cost to hire someone. :)

In that case I guess you are doing post sound (or at least a friend whom you know and will understand the post job). If you had a sound recordist in mind I would just discuss the project with them, bearing in mind -

- pay (what's available - what they'll need to take the job)

- equipment needs (you may have to go over the script and discuss this)

- cost of equipment needs (maybe there's some negotiation, maybe you need to factor extra hire costs for items, maybe you can or need to jiggle the script or schedule to achieve stuff on budget)

Apart from that, you are an insider, so "one of us" (or rather, 'one of them' since I am 'one of you or us' ...) so it is understood that we want to do good stuff, we want to work with nice folk and we all understand we're doing it for a living. With that in mind, for insider jobs, I'm actually all in favour of the elusive points/next job/favour/cooperative (pinko) idea when everyone is in agreement - especially when cash could be there for those that need it most at the time - folks' circumstances change all the time when freelance not studio.

Best of luck - I'd be surprised if you didn't have interested parties for a short shoot run by a sound post pro.

Jez

This is surreal.  One of our own wants to put together a proper budget for his sound team and asks for applicable numbers and folks give him anything but. 

I'm not in L.A., but in my neck of the woods -- for a top notch team:

Day Rate -- 

Mixer w/Full Gear:  $800 - $1300

Boom:  $400 - $600

Utility:  $250 - $500

So, for budget numbers, around $2,000 per day would serve you well. 

Adjustments can be made from there -- size of crew, gear needed, etc.

I hope this helps a bit, Mark.  

So, your your own boss correct...  Well this may not apply to you on this one...but.. It may help someone else..

On anything OTHER THAN what I know to be "in the neighborhood of normal rates"... Small doc or small shows of any type, I prefer to ask them what their budget is first.... Because many times when I spit out what "I" consider to be proper rates, I can hear an audible gasp...

So, I would rather explain and go up rather than shock them to death and try to regain footing going down to a ridiculous rate.

The fact you are shooting this "project" in two days leads me to believe it is probably NOT a full rate show... but, only you know what you have on the sound line...

Johns info is a good starting point..  I would say though $1200 -$1400 for a sound mixer human AND a gear package..    At $1400 thats only 700 human and 700 gear.... more than fair...   If thats a problem, I would do it without the utility person for only 2 days and use the funds elsewhere...  Unless it's union..