Roland R88 failed playback issue

winged eel

I have an serious issue with my R88, it doesn't play back recorded audio files:

- I can see the files in the root folder.
- I can see their size, length and I can scroll into them, but they do not play back from the unit.
- The play button does not light up when I hit play.
- Do not see any levels coming up on recorded tracks.
- The files will playback via USB out to a computer.
- Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Did you power cycle the unit...  Did you reset the unit... ( I am sure there is a re set)  it may be as simple as removing the power source and did you try to record new files on another formatted card...  and try to play those back...  

Did this just start recently, out of nowhere, or is this the first time you have tried to play back recorded files on this machine.  If that is the case, methodically go through ALL the settings to make sure nothing is set improperly.

I know nothing about you or your machine, so sorry for the dumb suggestions... you may have done all this..

I also know nothing of the age or use of that machine, meaning, the play button could be damaged or just plain failed...

did you mount the internal drive on a MAC over USB to play them back?  Could be that MAC or Windows 10 placed hidden file-system files on the drive which the Roland 88 is choking on.  Does it playback files recently recorded on a freshly formatted (in the Roland) Card? Is the SD card a SDHC or SDXC?

Try recording on an SDHC card (<=32GB).

Use the SD Wave Agent app to see if the file can be read, and what exactly its spec is, if the files were originally recorded with the R-88.

Next step I would take is backup the recorder settings to the SD card (for restoring if relevant). Then factory reset the unit. See if the audio files work then. 

If you are trying to play back files not recorded on the r-88 there are many Roland 88 codec issues that will prevent that; this would explain why they can however easily be played on a computer.