Sign in to follow this  
newzhack

rescued from the dumpster

I was helping a friend haul things to the dumpster today and found this on the stack. I thought it was interesting. Very thick foam along the inside. It weighs a lot. 

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

It will most likely live as a prop in my office. 

Malcom is probably correct. 

speaking of dumpsters, I also noticed this highly abused VDB pole that was also laying around to be disposed of and asked if I could have it. It is really rough and has been repaired unsuccessfully. I just hate to see such a quality item fall into disrepair. I am wondering if I should put it out of its misery. it has a hole in the number 3 extension. 

Would it be worth sending in for repair?

IMG_0635.jpg

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

IMG_0632.jpg

1 hour ago, Rick Reineke said:

A story the my mom's cousin (who worked for RCA (and later NBC) recalled throwing out boxes full of perfectly good RCA ribbon mics. 44s, 77 series and such..

Ouch!

1 hour ago, newzhack said:

...I also noticed this highly abused VDB pole that was also laying around to be disposed of...

...Would it be worth sending in for repair?

Doubtful -- but it might be worthwhile to someone for parts -- if, for instance, the knuckles are in decent condition.  Also, what Philip said. 

1 hour ago, Rick Reineke said:

A story the my mom's cousin (who worked for RCA (and later NBC) recalled throwing out boxes full of perfectly good RCA ribbon mics. 44s, 77 series and such..

A long time and several careers ago I worked at Masque Sound, a rental company in NJ that services Broadway and other markets. When the sound package from the original production of Cats came back a lot of "old" mics were sent to the dumpster. A coworker rescued several and I wound up with an RCA 74b in exchange for modifying his mixing console. Sent it off to Clarence Kane to be refurbed and had a Lundahl transformer installed. It's still one of my favorite VO mics.

Dan Alexander said that he was out at the dumpster behind DR in Germany in the 1970s as they tossed a lot of "old fashioned" Neumann tube mics and tube pres, the original batches of which launched his used sound equipment business in Berkeley.  

Phil, don't you have a story of seeing some EMT plates on a UCLA loading doc waiting to be discarded?

When I was a kid, I remember Carl Countryman having some damn impressive speakers that had, IIRC, been cast off by some band he worked with...

kirkwest_1974photo.jpg

Fun find, Newz!

The old UCLA Royce hall FOH console was basically left out on the dock on purpose until someone finally stole it.  (I think One Pass Inc did the same thing with their SpectraSonics console after it set itself on fire.)  The EMTs I saw were stacked up on the dock @ Skywalker.  I prob could have made a lowball offer (at that point they were deeply unhip) but we were living in a pretty small apartment at that time....   It was @ Ace Surplus where I saw the stacks of 6 plate KEMs and Moviolas, Fairlight frames, Sony editing 3/4 decks and piles and piles of finely machined 35mm sprocket drives, sitting out in the weather....an "Ozymandias" sort of moment.