STA 150 + ZFR 100; Stereo Recording half the Quality?

sinnlicht

Hi all, 

Anyone have experience on whether the stereo recording using the STA 150 on the ZFR 100 will produce inferior recordings in comparison with a mono recording through the audio input?

The bonus question is whether anyone has found out whether running an external DAC into the STA 042 results in any transcoding degradation in ZFR100 recording?

Many thanks 

Richard

thats all going to depend on how you are getting signal to the STA150.

what are you trying to record, or a typical example.

the audio input is a mic input, and the STA150 is a line input. so you'll either need to pad down a line signal into the audio input, or use some kind of preamp if you want a mic signal into the STA.
and the STA will be best when fed from a pro (+4dB) line level rather than consumer (-10dB).

note that you can record in mono even if you are using the STA as your audio source. just make sure you check wether it is accepting the left or right signal.

Dear Rich,

Going into the STA 150 would be stereo line out of a SD 302 for example. 

I have the remote audio CAX3FL3M12PAD cable which allows you to bring a mono line level signal into the mic input of the ZFR 100.

Thus I can bring stereo line level via the STA 150 or mono line level directly in the ZFR 100.

My question is whether I get better audio by sticking with the mono recording, as the Zaxcom codec on the ZFR 100 may have limitations. 

Thanks 

Richard

i would try to use the two XLR line outputs of the 302 into the STA150 as they are +4dB outputs, rather than the tape output which will be -10dB. you are adding less gain at the STA150 then.

with the remote audio cable, you are basically amplifying your mic to line level in the 302, then padding that signal back down to mic level with the cable to get into the audio inupt of the ZFR. 

first thing i would do, assuming you have the equipment you are talking about, rather than considering buying it, is do some testing yourself. 
i'd trust my ears over anybody else's here - i know where they've been, and their experience level, and i have to use them every day at work. anyone else's ears - not so much (no offence everyone else)

the ZFR records in a compressed format, wether it is mono or stereo. i dont know enough to say wether there is any difference in that compression between mono and stereo. but, bear in mind that zaxcom would not hold their position in the industry if the recordings made on their machines weren't any good - try and find a thread here complaining about ZFR or TRX recordings - i think you will struggle.

The TRX900 with stereo adaptor is one of our best products and totally unique. Stereo audio quality has never been a customer complaint in the 15 years the product has been out. In fact the Audio quality far exceeds any Analog wireless link available today. 

Glenn

6 hours ago, rich said:

i would try to use the two XLR line outputs of the 302 into the STA150 as they are +4dB outputs, rather than the tape output which will be -10dB. you are adding less gain at the STA150 then.

I agree with the points both Rich and Kelsey made, however, to correct one small misstatement:

The nominal reference level of the 302 main outputs are at 0dBu, not +4dB.