The "Best client/producer/agency quotes" thread

Here's a recent one. TV commercial, VOs with an actor were done at a hotel room after wrap. Got an email from the agency via producer a few days later:

"The speech recordings from the hotel room are mono, not stereo! How can this be?"

Do you have some funny agency folk stories to share?

EDIT: changed the thread name to more accurately reflect the great contents of this thread!

8 minutes ago, Michael Miramontes said:

Well could you?

Director wanted from me to record a slow motion audio.

What can I answer to that? Tell me. Hahaha

3 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Here's a recent one. TV commercial, VOs with an actor were done at a hotel room after wrap. Got an email from the agency via producer a few days later:

"The speech recordings from the hotel room are mono, not stereo! How can this be?"

Do you have some funny agency folk stories to share?

How many times, Christian. How many times...

11 hours ago, Bash said:

96kHz ?? and charge extra for it......  sb

Yes, Simon.

I am not going to make "experiments" (last minute) with dialogue in an entire cooking show, because the editor it's lazy and without post audio.

26 minutes ago, VAS said:

Yes, Simon.

I am not going to make "experiments" (last minute) with dialogue in an entire cooking show, because the editor it's lazy and without post audio.

Run a second recorder (zoom h1) at 96khz from O/Ps from the 48khz recorder (sound devices) - and charge them an extra 50 - until they say stop.

I had a show where the Producer removed my boom op the day before.. He said "he didn't need one.."  I said "I do... " 

He said, "but It's one guy sitting at a table.."  I said.."for now, it will change..then what..."

Next day the client writes in other members at the table... Then looks at me pissed off and says "where is your boom op we paid for?  I said...go ask the producer...he moved those funds to the craft service line of the budget... 

His head rolled, and I did not at all feel bad for throwing him under the bus..

There should be Union minimum staffing requirements...there are not. 

12 hours ago, afewmoreyears said:

I had a show where the Producer removed my boom op the day before.. He said "he didn't need one.."  I said "I do... " 

He said, "but It's one guy sitting at a table.."  I said.."for now, it will change..then what..."

Next day the client writes in other members at the table... Then looks at me pissed off and says "where is your boom op we paid for?  I said...go ask the producer...he moved those funds to the craft service line of the budget... 

His head rolled, and I did not at all feel bad for throwing him under the bus..

There should be Union minimum staffing requirements...there are not. 

From the commercial contract..this usually works: " There shall be no minimum staffing requirements provided, however staffing practices shall be consistent with the general past practice of the television commercial production industry"

1 hour ago, Geoff Maxwell said:

From the commercial contract..this usually works: " There shall be no minimum staffing requirements provided, however staffing practices shall be consistent with the general past practice of the television commercial production industry"

I have argued that till I am nauseous....  to no avail...   I have repeatedly been told by our reps... nothing they can do... It's really sad... 

OK

"Are you recording surround sound"

No I'm recording stereo fx tracks

"the studio in Tokyo wanted surround sound!"

Well if I recorded surround you would have clients talking, generator and unit generator/coffee machine too !!?

mike

Another gem!

"we are shooting in a sports changing room, its concrete block and echoing"

"the clients are in another changing room a long way away, so instead of

Comtecs can we have 12 wired headsets?"

I replied that I can put a Bose speaker with the clients and that will do it"

And another:

Japanese director "can I listen to the sound fx from yesterday?"

I played the recording of a huge water sprinkler "that's not the sound I wanted"

I played the recording of a stream "too much windy trees"

I replied I have two really good stream tracks from my library with me

"no! it has to be the real stream!"

I will tell more from that shoot soon!

mike

4 hours ago, mikewest said:

"no! it has to be the real stream!"

Send me over there, Mike - I'll record his stream!

And I've edited Japanese surround production tracks before ... maybe it's normal? (Chose best mono channel of the five if you're wondering). J

Eric - now that's just inspired producing!