Christian Spaeth

The "Best client/producer/agency quotes" thread

On 3/9/2018 at 2:13 PM, JonG said:

I guess there's no point to asking because if the DP was dumb enough to say something like that, then any other question would not be worth getting into, but where does a DP or anyone for that matter feel the need to give sound tips to the sound person? I mean, can I get away with telling the DP which f-stop will be the best to use in a particular situation?

Had this DP tell me over and over that his friend works for Skywalker Sound and says that all smoke machine noises can be taken out. The director (his friend) was really pleased by that and never listened to my 2 cents Haha. Guess it doesnt matter the frequency of the machine, proximity to mics, or proximity to frequency of the actors voice at all. Thanks DP.

Recently worked on a movie where every time the aliens would make clicky/chirpy noises the actors would react. We shot about 15 pages near a construction site in a quarry where frogs were mating. Similar to above, I kept getting asked "does the construction kill us?" I'd say "if not the frogs would" and vice versa. 

My response to the Skywalker comment would be “Oh, cool! So Skywalker is doing the post on this huh?”

"What are you doing?" -Editor

"Shooting a plate" -Me

"What's a plate?" -Editor 

"Can we turn down the camera fan? Maybe to adaptive mode" -Me

"No I dont want to overheat the camera" -DP (I've had good luck with DPs lately)

Shooting in the arrivals area at LAX: " How is it for sound?"

-----------------------------------------------

AD : "Roll sound" 

I quickly say speed, anticipating the call to roll. 

AD " WTF! NEVER roll until I tell you to!"

----------------------------------------------

Editor: "What are the digital numbers on your slate?"

----------------------------------------------

Producer: "We have an award winning director"

edit- this thread is much needed therapy 😅

Email from Producer:

This question came from post

Will sound be embedded in the files he will receive, or will he need to synch sound (hopefully the former)

This is YES , right 

We would not ask post to SYNC 

Just making sure 

Also, this email from Discovery Ch "Investigation Discovery"

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 7.36.00 PM.png

6 hours ago, pverrando said:

This could actually be helpful, if it went out to others as well. This is really basic stuff, but it indicates that production wants sound to be good and that steps towards it should be taken and that they're thinking about it and at least somewhat informed.

6 hours ago, pverrando said:

This could actually be helpful, if it went out to others as well. This is really basic stuff, but it indicates that production wants sound to be good and that steps towards it should be taken and that they're thinking about it and at least somewhat informed.

After I had an issue with a Lav and stated "It's OK we've got it on the boom." 

TVC Director "I f**k'n hate the sound of the boom" 

Had been booming all day up to this point and this is what was in his IFB feed. 

Same director lost his shit when we slated the first shot. NO SLATES ON HIS SET, IT'S NOT ORGANIC. 

With younger directors I now ask if they want slates before the first shot, or on the phone when setting up the job, to avoid any unpleasantness over them.  Frequently the productions who don't want slates also don't want any sort of TC or audio gear attached to their cameras either.  OK then.

On 6/1/2018 at 10:02 PM, Christian Spaeth said:

Maybe the people they usually work with for sound are not pros (hence cheaper) and thus need to be told how to hold a boom?

"please remember to point the mic towards the actors"

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

"please remember to point the mic towards the actors"

I've heard the equivalent quote in radio production:

"When you record the jingle, please make sure the announcer is closer to the mic so he can be heard over the music."

On 6/1/2018 at 8:34 AM, Philip Perkins said:

With younger directors I now ask if they want slates before the first shot, or on the phone when setting up the job, to avoid any unpleasantness over them.  Frequently the productions who don't want slates also don't want any sort of TC or audio gear attached to their cameras either.  OK then.

I like this. I may start doing this as well. How involved do you get with the slating process that it would be something you would have to speak to the director about? I usually just jam the thing and pass it off to the 1st or 2nd AC and then go on with my day. What they do with it is up to them.

Last week production requested a timecode slate, they rented it from me, I hand it off the AC, they never actually slate takes. I don't feel responsible for that.