Content Jobs

mikewest

Last year I was approached by an Australian company needing sound guys for content jobs.

Ok a job is a job!

First job a red carpet job at local low rent music awards

Worked out to be 3 hours for $300 labour and gear (i paid $20 for parking)

More recently "we need you for a job in south Auckland" (45 minutes from where I live)

The rate $200

I said no thanks!

On the shoot day I receive an urgent phone call at 9.00am

"we need you here urgently!"

Sorry not available!

mike

Forgive an old postie who stopped doing location mixing a long time ago:

When did the term become 'content job'?  A web search on that exact phrase suggests it refers to people who manage, edit, grab user-generated stuff from the web... but not a kind of shoot. (Without 'exact phrase' clicked, it gives me a bunch of job listings for things like web content creator.)

Or is this a special kind of job that's supposed to give you contentment for little money, because it's "new media"...

29 minutes ago, Jay Rose said:

Forgive an old postie who stopped doing location mixing a long time ago:

When did the term become 'content job'?  A web search on that exact phrase suggests it refers to people who manage, edit, grab user-generated stuff from the web... but not a kind of shoot. (Without 'exact phrase' clicked, it gives me a bunch of job listings for things like web content creator.)

Or is this a special kind of job that's supposed to give you contentment for little money, because it's "new media"...

Although the definition (above) is applies, for me 'content' (in this context) has come to mean video content along with other types of content (text, photos, games etc) - very few sites have standalone video.

My content(ment) with a new media production is proportional to the remuneration (as it is generally for me, with most booked work :-).

Hi Jay,

I think you nailed it!

Simple work for internet inclusion either commercial or not

Usually producers and directors who know little about rates or conditions!

So their simple 3 hour job at a low rate prevents you from accepting better work!!

mike