Sound Devices MixPre10M announced (a MixPre10T without the "T", for Musicians)

IronFilm

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10m

https://www.sounddevices.com/products/recorders/mixpre-10m/feature-comparison

The MixPre-10M musician's feature set includes:

Overdubbing – including Punch In/Out
    Track Laying – up to 12 tracks
    Bouncing - to allow for more tracks
    Premium Quality Effects – Vintage Reverbs & Vocal Air
    Metronome
    Render (Export) – for sharing files

For existing MixPre-6 and MixPre-10T users: Sound Devices will soon be releasing a studio-grade Musician Plugin adding a new dimension of recording capabilities to the already versatile devices. For US$99, the Musician Plugin will feature all the musician-inspired features, including overdub, track laying, reverb, metronome and more.

“Sound Devices has a rich heritage of employees who are also musicians – so the MixPre-10M is truly a product designed by musicians for musicians,” says Matt Anderson, CEO of Sound Devices, LLC. “It’s an incredible device that simplifies songwriting and production to allow musicians to focus solely on creating and recording music the way it was before computers took over. With built-in overdub, metronome, and effects like premium-quality reverb and vocal air, the travel-size MixPre-10M gives musicians the ability to record 12 tracks anywhere inspiration hits – from a tour bus, backstage, to a hotel room or live performance.”

The MixPre-10M retails for US$1499 and will be available in late March

Written up my thoughts at the end of my new blog post:

http://ironfilm.co.nz/sound-devices-mixpre10m-announced-a-mixpre10t-without-the-t-for-musicians/

In short, this is not the recorder I'm seeking. 

However it is still good news for SD users in general. 

31 minutes ago, Allen Rowand said:

I'm mostly excited that this conforms that new functions can be added to existing units (cough cough MixPre 6 automixer).

Doubt that will happen, they'll need to keep a few reasons to buy a 633/688 instead. 
Would be lovely if it did happen though!  Would swing me another step closer to buying a MixPre10T. 

I'm curious about the effects support. The website says that: "The vocal air effect is an easily dialed-in combination of EQ and compression that results in a breathy intimacy to vocals ..."

Does this mean that EQ and compression are separately configurable effects that can be applied per channel? Or is it basically just vocal air effect on/off?

5 hours ago, Christian Spaeth said:

Automixer and Overdub could be handy functionalities, but since the thing has no time code capability at all this is clearly a musician's tool, not a PSM's.

But if you have a regular Mix Pre 10T, and add the $99 plugin, you should have the best of both worlds surely?? sb

9 minutes ago, Bash said:

But if you have a regular Mix Pre 10T, and add the $99 plugin, you should have the best of both worlds surely?? sb

Yeah sounds like it!

I love the idea of being able to remix previously recorded material too. I could see myself for example when OMB’ing low budget shorts, re-mixing the select take of a scene while they’re doing lighting setups or something for the next one, just so the editors have a great mix track to listen to. 

-Mike

The one thing the isn't great about SD USB interfaces on OS X is they use the generic (IE not great) USB audio drivers on OS X. These are not great for low latency/near-realtime playback from DAWs.

Oddly they provide an ASIO driver for Windows.

I have a USBPre2 I picked up as a simple, high quality preamp that I thought could double as a simple interface in a pinch for my small home music-den. It does that, and is great for recording and playback as long as it's audio-only. Once I need soft synths or In to Out routing, the generic driver performance isn't up to par - and also being able to manage clocking from a driver - for me is important.

Also, as someone who uses and loves RME interfaces in the "studio", for a recorder with so many ins and outs, the lack of a mixing interface for the desktop/laptop into which it is plugged is a strange choice. The lack of a real low-latency driver for OS X is another.

I hope they're coming, it me it felt like the missing piece with the MixPre3/6/10T for "interface" use, so I was surprised to see it absent with this Musician's version.

Edit: I realise this isn't an interface first and foremost, I just think that feature is the one that needs the most work.

1 hour ago, Derek H said:

Now that they have a money maker in the musical instrument market I'm hoping they can get back to making new production sound gear. Though maybe they're happy to let Aaton and Zaxcom take over there.

Really? I didn't think either of those 2 brands were in a position to supply gear to as many countries and people as SD have. Of course I don't know the numbers but just guessing from what rental houses (outside US) stock. 

Strangely, this 10M version has reinvigorated my hope that SD will release a new larger production sound recorder. 

If they merged the T and M versions (tm?) and added a few features, they‘d have a pretty cool recorder. 

Of course, this also could have been the final kiss goodbye...

The acquisition of Audio Ltd suggests (to me) they intend to continue to develop the production sound side of business. An MI variant of an existing model (costing less than 1 channel of A10) seems like a obvious way to maximise the return from R&D in a product line. I've no idea of the actual numbers, but if a small tweak to an existing product opens sales up in another, much bigger sector, then I can imagine the increase in sales might be quite significant, which would hopefully mean more money to spend on R&D (of a bigger PS recorder?) and possibly more acquisitions. Personally, I find this more interesting than some of the legal stuff we've seen over the last few years (even if 1 is not a counter point to the other :-).

3 of the other 4 brands, seems to have concentrated on developing top end recorders and conceptually I like the way Sonosax have done so with a modular system that allows for relatively cheap entry point but can be scaled up (perhaps not quite to the level of an X3 or Deva24). I'd really like to see the granddaddy of brands synonymous with PS, squeeze the something like their 'VI' into a 'VII' sized box - but everyone has given up on this I think.

15 hours ago, daniel said:

... I'd really like to see the granddaddy of brands synonymous with PS, squeeze the something like their 'VI' into a 'VII' sized box - but everyone has given up on this I think.

And / or triple the channel count. Grandpa was also of course the first King of Lilliput back in 1970!

On 3/10/2018 at 1:32 PM, Constantin said:

Strangely, this 10M version has reinvigorated my hope that SD will release a new larger production sound recorder. 

If they merged the T and M versions (tm?) and added a few features, they‘d have a pretty cool recorder. 

The MixPreT with the new paid firmware upgrade is basically a merged T & M. 

1 hour ago, Constantin said:

Not really, no. Think stacking both on top of each other, but in one box. 20 inputs, 24 tracks and so on

I have a medical advisory board gig pencilled and was considering stacking 2 x 10Ts to get the track count (20) instead of lugging a Joe Co and the rest through an airport. Client not asking for a mix down (as they want to transcribe each speaker separately) but i was going send 5 groups of 4 to my 633 for an automixed monitor O/P, blah blah blah. A cascade feature for these recorders, to put a mix of all I/Ps onto 1 recorder would have been pretty cool - I am guessing it's not possible to add this to the USB connectors through firmware.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder how the overdub/punch feature is implemented and useful for on camera situations (On the 6/10). You have lets say a stereo track of a song two talents are dancing to while they have a dialogue. Both wear a hidden earpiece like phonak roger/invisity systems. The song tracks are written (actually copied) into the poly.wav file as isolated tracks?

Also, SD is a bit contradictory weather the musicians add-on is available for the mixpre3. Their news article mentions only the 10T and 6 models, but their feature comparison chart includes the mixpre3.

17 minutes ago, DanieldH said:

Also, SD is a bit contradictory weather the musicians add-on is available for the mixpre3. Their news article mentions only the 10T and 6 models, but their feature comparison chart includes the mixpre3.

That's because SD only announced plans to extend the Musicians' plug-in to the Mixpre-3 on Thursday. They made an announcement via Facebook (see below) and updated the feature comparison chart accordingly.

Cheers,

Roland

16 minutes ago, Throwback said:

That's because SD only announced plans to extend the Musicians' plug-in to the Mixpre-3 on Thursday. They made an announcement via Facebook (see below) and updated the feature comparison chart accordingly.

Cheers,

Roland

Thnx Roland,

I am a bit allergic to this company and always grateful if people carry information further.

2 hours ago, Constantin said:

Why are you allergic?

You pay with more information than you gain. I just don't feel comfortable with it. 

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/975147858096742405

https://ptrace.fefe.de/facebook-meedia.html (german)

Probably not an uncommon allergy, when you walk to C4 in Heliosstr. 6a.

1 hour ago, DanieldH said:

You pay with more information than you gain. I just don't feel comfortable with it. 

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/975147858096742405

https://ptrace.fefe.de/facebook-meedia.html (german)

Probably not an uncommon allergy, when you walk to C4 in Heliosstr. 6a.

Oh yes, certainly. From the context I thought you were talking about Sound Devices