UCR 411A bad power input

JCC

Hello most esteemed colleagues.

Been a while; grateful you're all still here!

After years of seamless perfomance, my UCR 411A seems to have developed a power input problem.  It works fine on 9v batts.  It works intermittently (and mostly not at all) on the power input (from my bds), which is powering other UCR 411's fine.  

Anybody have experience with this issue?

I'm wondering if it's typically the kind of fix where I'm better off just buying a new one, or a relatively simple fix.

Has anyone found a solution without sending it in to Lectro?

Finally, since I still have an smqv in that block (21), I'm thinking of upgrading to the srbc.  If I do, I'll probably add another sm or smqv to my quiver - do the new sm's have a longer battery life than the old sm's?   

Thanks!

If you mean the new Windband SM's, no I would not say in my use battery life is better...

No, the 411 power plug never an issue... but if it's been stuffed in a bag with a straight(or even a (90 degree )plug, it may have just been pushed and wiggled to it's current state.

If it's just the female plug on the unit, I would not buy a new one because of it... It is likely a simple fix, unless there is some sort of board issue.  

I don't know where you are located, but a trip to lectro is your best solution... or a trip to another approved repair facility.  If it's just the plug connection it MAY be a simple fix.

Double check all power leads from your BDS and make sure it is at that plug...  You should be able to hold the unit in your hand, plug it in and wiggle at the connector itself... at the unit... that should answer the question...You may have already done that...don't know..

Good luck..

3 hours ago, JCC said:

Hello most esteemed colleagues.

Been a while; grateful you're all still here!

After years of seamless perfomance, my UCR 411A seems to have developed a power input problem.  It works fine on 9v batts.  It works intermittently (and mostly not at all) on the power input (from my bds), which is powering other UCR 411's fine.  

Anybody have experience with this issue?

I'm wondering if it's typically the kind of fix where I'm better off just buying a new one, or a relatively simple fix.

Has anyone found a solution without sending it in to Lectro?

Finally, since I still have an smqv in that block (21), I'm thinking of upgrading to the srbc.  If I do, I'll probably add another sm or smqv to my quiver - do the new sm's have a longer battery life than the old sm's?   

Thanks!

JCC, are you a solderer? If so, I would simply replace the power plug on the receiver. That may easily fix the problem, you would only have down time of a few minutes, and it's just a few dollars. 

Thanks, Martin

JCC, are you a solderer? If so, I would simply replace the power plug on the receiver. That may easily fix the problem, you would only have down time of a few minutes, and it's just a few dollars. 
Thanks, Martin

Thank you, Martin! I’m a pretty green solderer, but I have succeeded before, so I might try that. Do you think I need to replace the plug or just the joint- and if the plug, where does one buy it (is it something universal I can find at a radio shack, or might it require a trip to Gotham)?

Need to use it tomorrow...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCC, Hi, There is a zero percent chance that radio shack has it. Gotham might, I'm not sure. I might have it, I know have the connector for Zaxcom, because I'm a Zaxcom guy. See if Gotham has it, I guess your in NYC? Send me a private message if they don't have it. Thanks, Martin

P.S.,  When you mentioned replacing the "joint" what were you talking about? 

M.W.

The service department can overnight a jack to you - call them at 1-800-821-1121.  Definitely cheaper to fix than replacing the unit (although we would love to have you get another unit :^).    Gotham's tech probably have one available.   JC Communications can definitely take care of it as well.  https://jayceecomms.com/