M-Audio FW 1814 hotplug

Matthias Richter

I`ve got a M-audio 1814 FW interface. M-audio is warning that hotpluggin the device might damage either the computer or interfaces`FW port.

If I use a 4-pin FW cable instead of a 6-pin isn`t it that no power supply will be transfered over the FW connection (using the external PS) and one could do hotplug the interface?

It might be a pain ita to shut down my laptop every time my soundcart needs to roll to a different spot on the set.

Cheers, Matthias

i wonder how much of this is the now obligatory ass coverage. in theory firewire is hotplugable, but i guess if they advise against it, you unplug it whilst powered up and you take out your firewire port then its not their fault cos they advised you against it.

just realized that 4pin means small connector. I thought the big ones come as 4 and 6pin. So I`ll have to take a 6pin cable anyway. Practice so far with FW HDs, 744T etc was ejecting the device, shut it off and disconnect but not powering down the Apple PB. Never had any probs. Don`t know about the M-audio. They just have that warning all over the place ...

Matthias