C-Stand Antenna range amplifier?

StMarduk

Mark Edward Lewis has a location sound class where he talks about using a mic stand or c-stand to act like a large antenna for a TX to extend it's range. He started off by mentioning how placing a key fob to your head extends the range of the clicker to your car. Through some googling this appears to be a real thing that does work. Some articles say any jug of water would do the same thing because of dielectric properties of water, although i'm not sure I want to keep water too close to my equipment. I know there are plenty of shark fin style antennas that can connect to your radios, but can anyone comment on the indie c-stand application for radios without removable antennas? Does the physics work?  I don't see much use for it on the TX for narrative stuff, but would this also apply to placing RX from the cart on the c-stand? I get how height helps with transmission range, but I'm wondering more about the possible amplifying benefits of any tall metal pole if I place the RX or TX close to the center or bottom of a c-stand. Thanks for the help!

24 minutes ago, Rick Reineke said:

I don't think the metal pole has much to do with it. Just a matter of a clearer line-of-sight and away from obstructions..

+1 No benefits from the pole itself.

Never seen it done in person.  The rigs I've seen pics of have used a C-stand or similar to hoist a bunch of Rx above the crowd, again back to clear line of sight to reduce interference...Perhaps that is what Lewis meant. Do you have links to these articles you mentioned?

At that point though I think it would make more sense to SMa mod the Rx.  Senni and Sony units can be done pretty cheaply & easily.

I recall some photos of @waimbonk's rig from Instagram.

Screen_Shot_2018-03-09_at_10_59_24.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-09 at 10.59.54.png

12 hours ago, JWBaudio said:

+1 No benefits from the pole itself.

Never seen it done in person.  The rigs I've seen pics of have used a C-stand or similar to hoist a bunch of Rx above the crowd, again back to clear line of sight to reduce interference...Perhaps that is what Lewis meant. Do you have links to these articles you mentioned?

At that point though I think it would make more sense to SMa mod the Rx.  Senni and Sony units can be done pretty cheaply & easily.

I recall some photos of @waimbonk's rig from Instagram.

Thanks for the insight!

Here's a link to one article:

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/brain-radio-transmitter-helps-unlock-cars-physicist-article-1.2020983

Here is the youtube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uqf71muwWc

I will definitely look into getting my Sony UWP's modded! 

In the comments for that youtube video people are saying a quarter wave ground plane antenna affect is the real reason it amplifies the range, and if true this implies it's not just height and clearer line of sight.