SoundAdvice

MixPre-3 vs. Zoom F4  

61 members have voted

1. 1. MixPre-3 or Zoom F4

• MixPre-3
    • Zoom F4
    • Something else!

2 hours ago, borjam said:

I don't understand. Have they actually tried a MixPre-{3,6,10}? Have they measured voltage drop in case it happens?

In the first place. Did you ask them because you had an issue? Or was it a preemptive question?

I don't know they try mixpre.

but actually Earthworks says QTC and Earthworks microphone needs 10mA.
it's not voltage. ampere.

Edited by INARI
auto translation fail

2 hours ago, INARI said:

I don't know they try mixpre.

but actually Earthworks says QTC and Earthworks microphone needs 10mA.
it's not voltage. ampere.

No, have YOU actually tried the mic and the MixPre? Are we talking about an issue, or are you just worried there could be an issue? 

Sound Devices say in their specs and right here in this thread that the MixPre can deliver 10mA, so... what’s the problem?

12 minutes ago, Constantin said:

No, have YOU actually tried the mic and the MixPre? Are we talking about an issue, or are you just worried there could be an issue? 

Sound Devices say in their specs and right here in this thread that the MixPre can deliver 10mA, so... what’s the problem?

Yes I tried, and  seems no problem in there as I mentioned earlier.
If I worry about it, it's S/N rate and reproducibility of waveform, but for now there is no problem, I think.

I made a recording for comparison in my kitchen.

It's not a very clean file, Because I forgot to turn off the ventilator after making a breakfast.

QTC40mp_mixpre.flac
Recorded with SD MixPre-10T and OMNI mics.

1. Earthworks QTC40 with dummy head.

2. Primo EM173(DIYed FET Micpre/ binaural dummy head) - This microphone works fine with mixpre.

Both microphone set to Trim+40 and Fader 0.
Microphone capsules are generally in same position.

2018-07-26_06-19-21 (2).png

Then align loudness 24.0 LKFS with iZotope RX.

I called it has no particular problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Today,Temperature reached 40 C(104 F) degree and all of work was canceled.
Since I was bored, so I measured the phantom power in some my own recorders.

It's insane to host the Olympic Games in this country.

currentandvoltage.png

Rather, it seems ZOOM F4 is closer to reference.
However, rather I like MixPre sound.

• 6 months later...

My 2 cents on this question: The Mixpre 3's control knob is in a terrible spot on the right side of the recorder. When you're recording out the of a bag, this poses a huge problem for access, even with small fingers. The F4's interface is a lot better IMO.

1 hour ago, Ben Chesneau said:

My 2 cents on this question: The Mixpre 3's control knob is in a terrible spot on the right side of the recorder. When you're recording out the of a bag, this poses a huge problem for access, even with small fingers. The F4's interface is a lot better IMO.

I don’t understand, what’s the problem? It looks very accessible to me?

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Most bags will mean it is very tricky to access the side of the MixPres to control their knobs, instead of sensibly placing it on the top like the Zoom F4 (and most other recorders!) does. 

Oh I see. Didn’t realize there was a knob on the side. They had that on the 744 and 788 as well, and it seems like people coped somehow. Maybe just buy a bigger bag. You may find the top panel button more sensible, but I find it quite good on the side. It allows me to change settings without covering the display or other parts of the recorder with my hand and it reduces the danger of inadvertently touching another control. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Most bags will mean it is very tricky to access the side of the MixPres to control their knobs, instead of sensibly placing it on the top like the Zoom F4 (and most other recorders!) does. 

Oh I see. Didn’t realize there was a knob on the side. They had that on the 744 and 788 as well, and it seems like people coped somehow. Maybe just buy a bigger bag. You may find the top panel button more sensible, but I find it quite good on the side. It allows me to change settings without covering the display or other parts of the recorder with my hand and it reduces the danger of inadvertently touching another control. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08.03.2019 at 14:19, IronFilm said:

Большинство сумок будет означать, что очень сложно получить доступ к боковой стороне MixPres, чтобы управлять их ручками, вместо того, чтобы разумно размещать ее сверху, как это делает Zoom F4 (и большинство других рекордеров!). 

you are no longer interested in battsled?

• 4 years later...
On 3/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, withintheflux said:

I bought an f4 as a backup recorder. It failed within days and the replacement did as well. At least one of the units was fried when accidentally feeding 48v to its outputs. (a mistake that is easily made!). After the second failure I stopped wasting my time and bought the mixpre10t

"Failed" within days? That sounds really implausible. Just saying. I own both the MP3II and the F4, and I am using both regularly. The F4 has been rock steady so far, having been used even in challenging weather conditions quite a few times.

I know this is an old thread. But for second hand buyers.