600Mhz question

jacefivesound

Im sure this has been answered but I can not find it. Im trying to get some clarity about what to do when 600mhz is out of the picture. Generally everything i have is in block 470-22, however i have a lot of lectro IFB gear in 24 and 3 channels of boom TX in 25. Anyway, I just read the following, which leads me to believe i may still be able to use these blocks, just limiting which frequencies I can use within the blocks. Am I accurate here? Quoted text below:

The FCC has provided for a transition period of up to 39 months to help smooth the transition as wireless microphone operators obtain new equipment and transition out of the repurposed 600 MHz service band (617-652 MHz / 663-698 MHz) to other spectrum. During the transition period, which ends on July 13, 2020, these operators may continue to access the spectrum that has been repurposed to 600 MHz service licensees under certain conditions.  Specifically, wireless microphone users may operate on the 600 MHz service spectrum – the 617-652 MHz and 663-698 MHz frequencies – only if they do not cause harmful interference either to the existing broadcast television operations (which also must cease operating in the band no later than January 13, 2020) or to the 600 MHz service wireless licensees’ operations in the band.  Wireless microphone users also must accept harmful interference from those broadcast television and 600 MHz service licensees. FCC 14-50, FCC 15-100,  FCC 15-99,  FCC 15-140  

You are clear to use those blocks until the date stated above, however T Mobile has begun using parts so you will have to vacate those areas.

I do believe that your block 24 IFB will still be useable as the duplex gap falls in that block. You just need to stay within the frequencies of the gap. You can google the exact frequencies for that. 

Your block 25 stuff is probably gonna have to go overseas or get re blocked however. 

That's correct - the guards band and the duplex gap are limited to 20mW.   As the new occupants begin powering up their transmitters, you will be forced by the simple laws of physics to relocate to lower blocks.  Our puny 10-250mW transmitters will get easily buried in the noise as these cell carriers start cranking up.  In some cell blocks (5Mhz wide) it will be rather fast but in others, it will take a while - but that July 13 deadline is set in stone. 

• 5 months later...
On 3/15/2018 at 7:28 PM, JonG said:

You are clear to use those blocks until the date stated above, however T Mobile has begun using parts so you will have to vacate those areas.

I do believe that your block 24 IFB will still be useable as the duplex gap falls in that block. You just need to stay within the frequencies of the gap. You can google the exact frequencies for that. 

Your block 25 stuff is probably gonna have to go overseas or get re blocked however. 

The Duplex Gap is actually in Block 25, not 24. So you should be fine keeping the IFB in that range. The only sketchy thing is the power output, but I dunno how they will enforce the 20mw rule? 

Yes, starting in July of 2020, they will crack down on the 20mW maximum rule for the duplex gap (652-663MHz) and guards bands.  Chances are the licensees will be the ones monitoring the duplex gap to protect their signal integrity since they are the ones who have the most to lose if there is unlawful interference.  FCC doesn't have the funding for independent monitoring and will rely on the complaint process.  

Edited by Gordonmoore1
added gap freqs